Reaction score
54
Location
California
Website
offtopix.com
CB$
2,237
There are a few multi-forum hosting scripts out there that allow anyone with a webserver to become their own free host. Would you want to start up such a service? If so, how would your service be different? Would you allow backups? Would you put ads on your free hosted forums?

I have my own server; however, a few years back, I had a dedicated server and did web hosting, the problem is you need to be at it daily, and you need lots of space, for me, it was not worth it as today's hosts are close to free.

Very hard to compete with that.

I don't think i'd ever be able to run my own host. My boyfriend ran a private server for a game for a few years and he said that took a lot of work and maintenance. I can only imagine what a free hosting platform would take to run. How would you make money to sustain it if it's free?

Most of them run tons of ads on their sites or add other things like charging for database backups or offering more space, however it’s still a ton of work to do it.

Back
Top