Curry preparation

Claraviolet

Real hero hidden in the darkness
Valued Member
Registered Member
Reaction score
CB$
Well, we prepare various curries here.

I will be discussing about Drumstick curry in this thread.
1. Take a spoon full of mixed Urad Dal , Chana Dal, Mustard seeds.
2. Fry them in some oil and use onion and chili(green) too.
3. Then add chopped drumstick to the mixture and fry them some more in medium flame(for about 5 minutes or so).
4. Then add the tomato pulp(use mixer grinder to get the pulp)
5. Now cook them all until there is no water left in the curry.
6. Now add spices like coriander, red chili powder(1 spoon), salt(half spoon), turmeric(1/4th spoon)
7. Turn off the flame after two minutes and the Drumstick curry is ready!

We have it with rice here.

Nice recipe, also quick and easy. I make a similar kind of curry with drumsticks but I do not use urad and chana dal for tempering. Also I like to use plenty of fresh grated coconut in the curry.
That's really great and grated coconut can be really good as well. Fresh coconut or dried coconut can really make a curry, delicious. My mother used to make curries with grated coconut.
I forgot about it completely. I am going to use it from here on in and it can be used in any curry.
So, do you use any other spices to make curry, nangk08?

That's really great and grated coconut can be really good as well. Fresh coconut or dried coconut can really make a curry, delicious. My mother used to make curries with grated coconut.
I forgot about it completely. I am going to use it from here on in and it can be used in any curry.
So, do you use any other spices to make curry, nangk08?
Thanks Claraviolet. Fresh or dried, coconuts make a lovely addition to most curries and give them a lovely, nutty flavour. I just use the spice mix that I make myself, its my mother's recipe - a blend of about 14-15 spices which I roast and grind to last for a few months. A little jaggery to balance the flavours and that's it.

Thanks Claraviolet. Fresh or dried, coconuts make a lovely addition to most curries and give them a lovely, nutty flavour. I just use the spice mix that I make myself, its my mother's recipe - a blend of about 14-15 spices which I roast and grind to last for a few months. A little jaggery to balance the flavours and that's it.
Sounds delicious and I think my mother uses some masala as well.
It's usually prepared by her using some local spices. After adding chili powder at the end, she ads that masala powder as well. I forgot all about it until now.
That gives a very good aroma to the curry and the flavor changes too, if only a little. I will have to get that recipe from her to make the masala.

Sounds delicious and I think my mother uses some masala as well.
It's usually prepared by her using some local spices. After adding chili powder at the end, she ads that masala powder as well. I forgot all about it until now.
That gives a very good aroma to the curry and the flavor changes too, if only a little. I will have to get that recipe from her to make the masala.
Sounds delicious! Does she al;so use garam masala in the curries? I sometimes make my own garam masala mix but not always!

Sounds delicious! Does she al;so use garam masala in the curries? I sometimes make my own garam masala mix but not always!
That's right and she uses it a lot.
Not the ready-made stuff we get from a mart. She prepares it by using some spices of her own. I will have to get that recipe sometime. She uses ginger as well which gives a really good taste for the curry.
If available, I believe she uses some mint leaves as well along with garlic. Looks like I missed couple of ingredients in my recipe

That's right and she uses it a lot.
Not the ready-made stuff we get from a mart. She prepares it by using some spices of her own. I will have to get that recipe sometime. She uses ginger as well which gives a really good taste for the curry.
If available, I believe she uses some mint leaves as well along with garlic. Looks like I missed couple of ingredients in my recipe
Do get the recipe from her and write it down. I too am doing that with my mum's recipes. Nowadays, there is a drastic change in the way we eat food and most traditional recipes are now disappearing fast. Its the least we can do to keep a record of them. I too use fresh ginger and mint with garlic in addition to the spice for some gravies. Do share your mother's garam masala recipe if its alright with you!

Back