Revert customizations made in this style

Will the desktop be obsolete?

Alexandoy

Alexandoy

Valued Member
Reaction score
CB$
    Thread Owner : Alexandoy
I have read an article in the newspaper that the desktop seems to be giving way to the laptop. Portability is the key that people are now buying more of the laptop and less of the desktop. Maybe I can agree to that because right now I am using a laptop although I still have my old desktop in running condition. It makes me think that when my desktop would stop working then what would I buy next. Maybe another laptop?

Games

Games

Valued Member
Reaction score
Website
kodibeginner.com
CB$
It will never happen because of the following:
Desktop have better performance then laptops have.
You can use a desktop with big screen, keyboard and mouse.
You can upgrade a desktop easily or fix hardware problems.

Reactions:Gibby and PGen98
PGen98

PGen98

Community Leader
Community Advocate
Valued Member
Reaction score
CB$
Precisely what @Games said, desktops are simply too valuable to get rid of. While yes people do like the portability of laptops and tablets, nothing can replace a desktop when it comes to performance. Whether that's graphically for gaming purposes, or CPU speeds for programming work and so forth, desktops can be upgraded easily and made like-new with a few new components, and when you're done with it, an old PC is a perfect starting point for a media server, NAS device or testing machine. Too many things you can do with a desktop that needs to be kept around for one reason or another. While the home user may move more and more away from desktops, desktops themselves will not die anytime soon.

S

sliara

Valued Member
Reaction score
CB$
I don't think that the desktop will be obsolete because a lot of people work at home nowadays due to Covid-19, and there is also the convenience of not charging the laptop every now and then.

nomad

nomad

Valued Member
Reaction score
CB$
I don't think desktop computers will be absolute. You see when mobile phones were introduced people speculated that the cable-based phones will phase out. But these two different technologies have co-existed. The same is happening with laptops and desktops. I still believe desktops are far more powerful than the laptops.

Tumbleweed

Tumbleweed

Valued Member
Reaction score
CB$
I don’t think that they will be obsolete, and it depends on what a person does with their computer, whether a desktop or laptop works best for them.
I have a Dell XPS-18, and I hardly ever use it unless I am going a survey that requires a desktop. Most of the time, i use my iPad, and since I have an external keyboard on the iPad, it is just about like having a lightweight laptop, but with the benefits of a tablet.

My daughter travels for her job, and she carries her iPad and also her work laptop with her, and she has an older iMac at home if she needs to use that.
I totally love Apple products, and they are dependable and long lasting. Since they are expensive to get new, I have usually shopped on eBay for my iPads.
With my iPad, I can relax in my comfortable chair and read when i want to do that, which would be hard with a laptop and impossible with a desktop.
I think that eventually, desk tops will become obsolete, but not for a while yet.

Jaden_66

Jaden_66

Valued Member
Reaction score
CB$
I don’t think that they will be obsolete, and it depends on what a person does with their computer, whether a desktop or laptop works best for them.
I have a Dell XPS-18, and I hardly ever use it unless I am going a survey that requires a desktop. Most of the time, i use my iPad, and since I have an external keyboard on the iPad, it is just about like having a lightweight laptop, but with the benefits of a tablet.

My daughter travels for her job, and she carries her iPad and also her work laptop with her, and she has an older iMac at home if she needs to use that.
I totally love Apple products, and they are dependable and long lasting. Since they are expensive to get new, I have usually shopped on eBay for my iPads.
With my iPad, I can relax in my comfortable chair and read when i want to do that, which would be hard with a laptop and impossible with a desktop.
I think that eventually, desk tops will become obsolete, but not for a

I have read an article in the newspaper that the desktop seems to be giving way to the laptop. Portability is the key that people are now buying more of the laptop and less of the desktop. Maybe I can agree to that because right now I am using a laptop although I still have my old desktop in running condition. It makes me think that when my desktop would stop working then what would I buy next. Maybe another laptop?
I agree with you desktops are amazing in all ways they're fast, cooler, better, can have biggest faster fps display. The more you invest money in them the better the upgrade options. Where as laptops just restrict you in all ways. But laptops come in handy on the move. Like if you're on the move a laptop is a good Go to daily driver. But still pc's are amazing at high performance in home work.

Jay

Jay

Community Leader
Reaction score
Website
chatbanter.com
CB$
I don't think they will ever go away even tho laptops and phones are a thing now, there are still millions of us that will always have a PC for the ease of upgrading.

My ROG laptop sitting next to me has 5 times the power of my PC but i still use the PC more.

Reactions:PGen98
Gibby

Gibby

Valued Member
Reaction score
CB$
desktop def better for gaming imo

• Agree
Reactions:PGen98 and Jay

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.