Why we should let the sunshine in?

    Thread Owner : Nocturnal Thinker
  • #1

When I read the article about the benefits which the sunlight may give to man, I remember the popular song of The 5th Dimension's "Aquarius". Its chorus says "Let the sunshine, let the sunshine in, the sunshine in..."

A good or better sleep is well guaranteed when you exposed yourself to sunlight. It has been said that when you are exposed to sunlight in the mornings, your circadian rhythms are working properly, and and in return you have a goodnight sleep and you do away with your depression.

Aside from a good sleep, you'll also get the natural vitamin D which the sunshine supplies bountifully. It has been said that when the sunlight touches your skin, it converts cholesterol into vitamin D in building you a strong bones and in improving your immune system.

How do you let the sunshine in to your home?

  • Like
Reactions:nangk08

To be honest, it is only later in life that I learned about vitamin D coming from sunlight. It makes me wonder how the sunlight can give us that vitamin. Anyway, what i like about sunlight is the light itself. When the weather is gloomy with cloudy skies I don't feel good as if the sky had affected my mood. When the sun is shining brightly my mood is also bright and dynamic. I always want to wake up to see the rising sun.

    Thread Owner : Nocturnal Thinker
  • #3

To be honest, it is only later in life that I learned about vitamin D coming from sunlight. It makes me wonder how the sunlight can give us that vitamin. Anyway, what i like about sunlight is the light itself. When the weather is gloomy with cloudy skies I don't feel good as if the sky had affected my mood. When the sun is shining brightly my mood is also bright and dynamic. I always want to wake up to see the rising sun.
Now you know about this that sunlight can provide you vitamin D. And the sun is the best source of it. That's why it's called sunshine vitamin.

It is made from cholesterol in your skin when it’s exposed to the sun. When the skin is exposed to sunlight, it makes vitamin D from cholesterol. The sun’s ultraviolet B (UVB) rays hit cholesterol in the skin cells, providing the energy for vitamin D synthesis to be processed.

And also this vitamin has made essy for the cells in the gut to absorb the two minerals like calcium and phosphorus whic are important for maintaining strong and healthy bones.

Take note that low vitamin D levels may cause serious health problems like osteoporosis, cancer, depression, muscle weakness and even death. That's why vitamin D is vital to one's health.

Last edited:

I like sunshine and I am blessed to live in a country where we have plenty of sunshine whole year around except during the monsoon season. When it rains for days and the weather is gloomy and gray, I feel gloomy and gray from inside. Sunshine is something that we just cannot live without. I have never heard that song before so I just googled it and listened to it. It is beautiful! I love it. The band is simply amazing!

  • Like
Reactions:Nocturnal Thinker
    Thread Owner : Nocturnal Thinker
  • #5

I like sunshine and I am blessed to live in a country where we have plenty of sunshine whole year around except during the monsoon season. When it rains for days and the weather is gloomy and gray, I feel gloomy and gray from inside. Sunshine is something that we just cannot live without. I have never heard that song before so I just googled it and listened to it. It is beautiful! I love it. The band is simply amazing!
Thank you @nangk08 that you have visited the site for the music, "Let the sunshine in" by the The 5th Dimensions and you have listened to it and enjoyed it.

Well, you have a place where you live in which there's a plenty of sunshine for whole year round. Vitamin D supply is no problem then. Do the people bask in the sun during the midday to get the sunshine vitamin? It will only good for 30 minutes of exposure.

If there's no enough sunlight, there are foods to eat which are rich in vitamin D such as cod liver oil, swordfish, salmon, canned tuna, beef liver, egg yolks and sardines.

  • Like
Reactions:nangk08

Nice info, it's just now that I have been made aware of that. Sunlight, as long as it's not that hot on our skin, is definitely good for us.

Thank you @nangk08 that you have visited the site for the music, "Let the sunshine in" by the The 5th Dimensions and you have listened to it and enjoyed it.

Well, you have a place where you live in which there's a plenty of sunshine for whole year round. Vitamin D supply is no problem then. Do the people bask in the sun during the midday to get the sunshine vitamin? It will only good for 30 minutes of exposure.

If there's no enough sunlight, there are foods to eat which are rich in vitamin D such as cod liver oil, swordfish, salmon, canned tuna, beef liver, egg yolks and sardines.
People don't bask here in the sun as such because we take the sunshine for granted really, except during the winter months when old people will sit around in the sun and little kids play outside to keep warm. Otherwise, we just take it for granted. In my part of country, that is the West of India, sun is usually too hot during the mid day and so we usually try to keep out of it. Still, we just cannot do without it so I guess we do get enough vitamin D. Although because of changing lifestyles, people staying in more and more indoors due to constant work, deficiency of this vitamin is indeed a rising problem for many.