Who owns a website?

fantanoice

New Chatterer
Currently no. I ran a forum for 11 years before getting out of the game forever. I now have a YT / Twitch that I'm working to grow.

fantanoice

New Chatterer
Life got busy. I lost interest. Every other day was a new set of spambots to ban/remove all the posts. Lost a lot of time to make new threads, do post exchanges, etc. Lost a lot of money in hosting and buying prizes.

Even then it was already clear that forums were dying to Discord and social media. This was 5 years ago and nothing has changed. Forums need a fundamental shake-up to evolve and take on these big competitors. Lets be honest, Xenforo may look and feel great. But at the core it's the same as IPB 1.3 from 15 years ago.

I don't regret the experience. I learnt a lot about building a community and delivering on what people want. But I quit at the right time for sure.

apathy

how'd i get to be so good?
@fantanoice a lot of that sounds like my previous experience running forums, my last one I gave up around 2015. I think it't totally possible to start a successful forum these days but it really depends what your niche is. Even Fortree I'm only really expecting to get to close-group-of-friends size, but that's all we want. A Megami Tensei forum I expect would maintain higher activity despite being a way less popular franchise - as it stands I can only think of 2 Subreddits as dedicated places to talk about it, the discord servers set up just fizzle out after a few months.
Social Media totally did help steer interest away from forums but I do feel like some of that is beginning to be undone. I think it's safe to say many of us who grew up with forums are well and truly sick of SM, but outside reddit wherelse is there to go? I expect a slight resurgence in forums, though it'll always pale in comparison to the 00s

I don't regret the experience. I learnt a lot about building a community and delivering on what people want. But I quit at the right time for sure.
This is a great way too look at it though, there really is a lot of good to be learned from starting communities.

ewpratt

New Chatterer
I have a website for my writing, and a couple domain names intended for setting up a businesses.

Creaky

New Chatterer
Currently have 5 active sites, 4 are forums and one a desktop wallpaper site. None have very much traffic, I just enjoy playing around with them.

Brad P

Administrators
Currently have 5 active sites, 4 are forums and one a desktop wallpaper site. None have very much traffic, I just enjoy playing around with them.
Yeah i have always enjoyed the building of a forum, CB has some steady traffic but i have not advertised it yet. i only own 1 site
Never really know the best way to really drive organic traffic.

@Creaky are they all running Xen?

Catsmother

New Chatterer
Wondering how to drive to drive traffic too. I know there is the paying option but it can be expensive.

Creaky

New Chatterer
Yeah i have always enjoyed the building of a forum, CB has some steady traffic but i have not advertised it yet. i only own 1 site
Never really know the best way to really drive organic traffic.

@Creaky are they all running Xen?
Yes, all the forums are using Xenforo

Bastty

New Chatterer
Hi everyone.
Well, I own a little community about enthusiast gaming general discussions.
will love to see there people posting old gaming cheats or tricks.

Games

New Chatterer
What is it about? What kind of forum or blog software do you use - or is it something else? Do you make any money from it? What are your future plans? What made you choose your niche?

My website (the one in my signature) is about the software Kodi, streaming apps and other related subjects.
I use WordPress but developed the theme of the site by myself.
Yes earn money from it using Adsense.
I plan to continue to write interesting tutorials for the website.
I choose this niche because I love online streaming of series and movies.

Riker Slade

New Chatterer
I have run many forums in the past. Recently, I tried designing a forum and then put it in cold storage. I think the amount of effort that you have to put in to make your personal forum active is tremendous. I decided to drop out of the admin game and instead join forums that I liked and stay active as a normal member. I think if people do this it would make forums more active. Instead of people making their own chat forums which numbers to t10's it would be better if they came together and posted on one chat site only.

joombo

New Chatterer
I'm working on my website for business right now. Plus I found info about ssl cert and I'm planning to start using one to protect my user's data. This cert will shows my visitors that website is safe. It's an important tool for any website these days.

Last edited:

Netscaux

Critic
I just run my design/hosting company website, for now, I am preparing it for a big launch in early December.

Top