Who owns a website?

Paladin

Loyalist
We give up so early!! Building a community, requires time, way too much time compared to blogs.
Define early. If you managed to keep your community going for more than a day (that's how long one of my forums lasted :ROFLMAO:) then I think you did better than me.

bomb

Experienced Chatterer
Define early. If you managed to keep your community going for more than a day (that's how long one of my forums lasted :ROFLMAO:) then I think you did better than me.
🤣🤣 You gave up way too EARLY!!! You should give your forum a minimum of 3 years. Community development is a protracted process.
In 2007, I build a community, and gave up after 1year, when the hosting and domain name expired! Guess what, the domain name was taken by someone immediately, not to use, he is selling it now at $1,546 !!! on GoDaddy. I still hate myself for doing that!! If only I held on longer, or maybe I should have just held on it for prospecting.

This time around, even if I have already spread myself so thin with many forums, I will hold on to them a little longer!!

Paladin

Loyalist
🤣🤣 You gave up way too EARLY!!! You should give your forum a minimum of 3 years. Community development is a protracted process.
In my defense, it was a phpBB forum that I had just started and I managed to lock myself out of the admin panel when I tried to edit the PHP files. After I realized that the only way to fix it would be to nuke the entire thing and start again, that's exactly what I did.
Hence the term giving up. ;)

bomb

Experienced Chatterer
In my defense, it was a phpBB forum that I had just started and I managed to lock myself out of the admin panel when I tried to edit the PHP files. After I realized that the only way to fix it would be to nuke the entire thing and start again, that's exactly what I did.
Hence the term giving up. ;)
Allow me to laugh out loud (LOL)!! That was very unfortunate! But again, editing PHP files is a professional skill. I would say, to build a forum, you may need to keep your professional skills on the rear. All you need is social skills, community development skills!

Brad P

Administrators
I managed to lock myself out of the admin panel when I tried to edit the PHP files. After I realized that the only way to fix it would be to nuke the entire thing and start again
Oh yes this has happened to me, I run a site called Game Tec back in the day and actually got off to a good start building an audience the software I was using back then was SMF

I was a few months in before I managed to take myself out of admin, corrupted a file and ended up pulling my hair out lol before converting over to xenforo. You all learn things the hard way but its the only way to learn ;)

Spikey

Experienced Chatterer
I just opened up my very first forum last week. It's a sports forum since I'm a pretty big sports guy.

PGen98

Experienced Chatterer
Speaking of mistakes made while running forums, I made the mistake of bringing in a partner for my most successful forum (at the time) and that partner helped with some graphical work, as that's not my strong suit. Then, after about 5 months and not finishing a thing, he removed me as an admin, password protected the forums and held my site ransom until I agreed to pay him an absurd amount of money for cut-rate graphics he hadn't finished. Didn't take me long to regain control, IP ban him and never make the mistake of taking on a partner again. Co-admins are one thing, but I'll never give those co-admins certain permissions that could let them take over the site (this was before the "super admin" options in forums).

Been running forums for about 20 years, and I've learned plenty about what not to do :)

Paladin

Loyalist
Didn't take me long to regain control, IP ban him and never make the mistake of taking on a partner again.
It's nice that you managed to get your forum back. If you really wanted to troll him, however, you could have denied IP access from the .htaccess file to show that you weren't messing around. (Plus, it would probably be entertaining if you could see his rage when that happened.)

PGen98

Experienced Chatterer
I could have had more fun with him, and probably should have, but I mostly just wanted him out of the way and off of my site, so I took the more direct approach :)

[...]

Oh wow! People do crazy things once they get the privileges of being on the staff team. Especially when they don't get their way. Glad you knew what to do with the experience.

apathy

how'd i get to be so good?
I used to run a Zelda forum with friends back in the day, it lasted a good number of years until we all fell out of contact and the site eventually died. We all got back in touch now and so we're trying our hands at a Pokemon forum instead this time.

Also, @PGen98's story is pretty grim, and I definitely remember several things like that happening in the past too. People can be so power hungry!

PGen98

Experienced Chatterer
Yeah, it wasn't a fun experience to deal with, but thankfully it was easy enough to sort out. Nowadays there are plenty of precautions you can take, which is good, but it is no fun whatsoever having someone stab you in the back like that!

Glad you're giving forums another go, they're a really good means of communication and interaction and a lot of fun to tinker with!

Abizaga

Experienced Chatterer
Speaking of mistakes made while running forums, I made the mistake of bringing in a partner for my most successful forum (at the time) and that partner helped with some graphical work, as that's not my strong suit. Then, after about 5 months and not finishing a thing, he removed me as an admin, password protected the forums and held my site ransom until I agreed to pay him an absurd amount of money for cut-rate graphics he hadn't finished. Didn't take me long to regain control, IP ban him and never make the mistake of taking on a partner again. Co-admins are one thing, but I'll never give those co-admins certain permissions that could let them take over the site (this was before the "super admin" options in forums).

Been running forums for about 20 years, and I've learned plenty about what not to do :)
Oof that's rough. Back when I ran a Garry's Mod server I had something like that happen. Instead though he stole all my files and half my userbase. I sadly let that community go as it was causing too much headache.

PGen98

Experienced Chatterer
Oof that's rough. Back when I ran a Garry's Mod server I had something like that happen. Instead though he stole all my files and half my userbase. I sadly let that community go as it was causing too much headache.
Yeah, once things start getting hectic it's sometimes hard to get things back to a manageable level again, so that's totally understandable. I've had a few communities that became a bit problematic to run or were outright overrun by people intent on disrupting things, and had to shut them down. It's frustrating to have to lose a community you've put a lot of time and effort into, they're a big time investment to start and you always want them to succeed, so failure always hurts.

Abizaga

Experienced Chatterer
Yeah, once things start getting hectic it's sometimes hard to get things back to a manageable level again, so that's totally understandable. I've had a few communities that became a bit problematic to run or were outright overrun by people intent on disrupting things, and had to shut them down. It's frustrating to have to lose a community you've put a lot of time and effort into, they're a big time investment to start and you always want them to succeed, so failure always hurts.
NGL it still really stings to this day thinking I had this really good thing going and I let some dipshit teenager fuck it all up for me.

PGen98

Experienced Chatterer
NGL it still really stings to this day thinking I had this really good thing going and I let some dipshit teenager fuck it all up for me.
Oh I hear you there, it's not fun having some idiot trashing something you put so much time and effort into. They don't understand why it matters, because to them it's just another platform that they joined to troll and stir up crap, but the sheer level of investment in building a community is substantial, and I don't mean just financially. It's a real shot in the gut to lose that investment over something stupid.

Abizaga

Experienced Chatterer
Oh I hear you there, it's not fun having some idiot trashing something you put so much time and effort into. They don't understand why it matters, because to them it's just another platform that they joined to troll and stir up crap, but the sheer level of investment in building a community is substantial, and I don't mean just financially. It's a real shot in the gut to lose that investment over something stupid.
Yeah it wasn't fun. I wonder sometimes how big it woulda been now.

Catsmother

New Chatterer
Yeah I have my own forum and it's mental health plus general chat, questions and games. I was with ProBoards but now with MYBB in which I am not that keen.

Top