Who owns a website?

Zakalwe

New Chatterer
He wasn't, he just didn't know who I was as I'm using a few different names across different sites.

bomb

Experienced Chatterer
You're not wrong there, I was the community administrator for GameWinners.com (180,000 members, over 8million posts [we purged the DB at times, so it never exceeded 2 mil at a time]), and pre-social media that site was an absolute beast, posts flowing in 24/7 and members galore; however, once social media took hold and cheat codes fell away from gaming, the site did a nosedive and eventually shut down.
That was a very good forum. You could have maintained it. Because it is general. It can host gamers from any game. Yes, forum activity has really reduced. But with a change of strategy, you can survive.

Forums will never die. The social media craze will just die off. Slowly people will be bored and will want to engage in a community that indulges in a specific subject matter. Currently, the tough job for forum admins is to get the like-minded individuals onboard and active.

Forums will still remain content-rich, compared to the mainstream social media.

Spikey

Experienced Chatterer
I agree. Forums will never die but they will never be the same like they used to be. Hopefully Social media will fall off quite a bit so people get back onto forums. I don't have any social media accounts :D

PGen98

Experienced Chatterer
That was a very good forum. You could have maintained it. Because it is general. It can host gamers from any game. Yes, forum activity has really reduced. But with a change of strategy, you can survive.

Forums will never die. The social media craze will just die off. Slowly people will be bored and will want to engage in a community that indulges in a specific subject matter. Currently, the tough job for forum admins is to get the like-minded individuals onboard and active.

Forums will still remain content-rich, compared to the mainstream social media.
I agree that it could have, and we had a very strong community core left still actively posting when the owner decided to shut things down. I offered to take over from him, I offered multiple different compromises to keep things going, but he wanted to shut down, so that was that. It absolutely had every chance to keeping going and I'm still devastated that it was shut down. All that's left now is a splash page and links to reddit, facebook and a discord server. Shame.

Shortie

New Chatterer
I used to own a general chat forum myself a while back but unfortunately had to close it back in 2017 when prices of hosting went up and I was no longer able to afford it. By the time I closed it, it would have been 8 years old.

Zakalwe

New Chatterer
General chat forums are a bit of a double edged sword. On one hand they're easy to set up and generate content for. On the other hand, because they're easy to set up and generate content for everyone wants to run one. I think most forum admins have at one time ran a general forum. And there's the issue. There's far too many of them!

2

2020s

Yes, you are wrong. It hasn't launched yet.
Thinking of having a launch party (online event) for it.

bomb

Experienced Chatterer
I used to own a general chat forum myself a while back but unfortunately had to close it back in 2017 when prices of hosting went up and I was no longer able to afford it. By the time I closed it, it would have been 8 years old.
I have been through a similar situation sometime back. But i regret i didn't hold on longer.
A forum is a community, building a community is an art. Once you manage to bring people together, people with a common goal, you should be able to talk them into supporting the forum.

The members can support the forum once you have a good value proposition. They should be able to derive value by being in the forum. Then they will be willing to pay for it.

I know, easier said than done! But its a journey and a learning process too. Am sure the decision you will make now will be different from back then.

Brad P

Experienced Chatterer
CoronaVirusForums.com would be a more appropriate URL for a 2020 forum!
Almost had a moment on CB, upgraded to xenforo 2.2 and enabled the wrong addon and corrupted the database lol, got a genius working on it at the moment.

bomb

Experienced Chatterer
Almost had a moment on CB, upgraded to xenforo 2.2 and enabled the wrong addon and corrupted the database lol, got a genius working on it at the moment.
Sorry about that. I noticed it went off for a while there. Glad you've fixed. You've got to be careful now! We're getting used to this village of ours. We don't want it to disappear like Flight MH370!

Abizaga

Experienced Chatterer
@Brad P How stable is it? Get alot of errors in your admin cp? Also I'm looking forward to the PWA being enabled!

Paladin

New Chatterer
I've messed around with a lot of forums - phpBB, myBB, Discourse, Flarum, Forumotion, and the free demos of Invision and xenForo. A lot of my forums ended up dead or stagnant.

(At one point - last year or so? I tried to make my own forum, and after two days, realized how much ungodly amount of work it would take to do so...)

I don't think forums are dead, but I do think that ever since the rise of social media and Discord, interest in them has declined somewhat.

bomb

Experienced Chatterer
I've messed around with a lot of forums - phpBB, myBB, Discourse, Flarum, Forumotion, and the free demos of Invision and xenForo. A lot of my forums ended up dead or stagnant.

(At one point - last year or so? I tried to make my own forum, and after two days, realized how much ungodly amount of work it would take to do so...)

I don't think forums are dead, but I do think that ever since the rise of social media and Discord, interest in them has declined somewhat.
You are very right. But like me, i think you did one mistake....one big mistake us forum admins do.

We give up so early!! Building a community, requires time, way too much time compared to blogs.

The second mistake i did, i created many forums in different niches. A mistake that i continue doing irrespective!

Anyway, forums are not dead, that is why despite the disruption by the mainstream social media, Reddit is still up and running and ranking higher (18) than even twitter (51) on Alexa. The social media is a passing fad, it will go, just like myspace and google + went. Then we will be left with the immortal beasts......FORUMS!!

Top