Discussion Who owns a website?

Jayson

Experienced Chatterer
What is it about? What kind of forum or blog software do you use - or is it something else? Do you make any money from it? What are your future plans? What made you choose your niche?

DudeThatsErin

New Chatterer
I own a blog and a website creation/hosting website. I am going to keep them up for as long as I possibly can even though I now write for Medium instead. I chose hosting because it is something I have done since 2007-ish and I love doing it.

Jayson

Experienced Chatterer
I own a blog and a website creation/hosting website. I am going to keep them up for as long as I possibly can even though I now write for Medium instead. I chose hosting because it is something I have done since 2007-ish and I love doing it.

That's cool your still doing it. I know you were doing it way back, but I thought you quit. Well, what was going on then?

DudeThatsErin

New Chatterer
That's cool your still doing it. I know you were doing it way back, but I thought you quit. Well, what was going on then?
Hm... I don't remember you. Lol I have met so many people on forums that it is hard to keep track. Hahahahaha.

I was running low on funds but now I'm married and all of my debt is paid off so I have nothing to lose keeping them up. :D

PGen98

Experienced Chatterer
I'm down to one website just now, and it's just a small chat forum for a few refugees of another site that collapsed, but I've owned and operated many different sites over the years on all different platforms. Everything from hosted free forums and blogs right the way upto full dedicated servers supporting a large site. Today it's just the one and it's running on XenForo software on a VPS, nice and simple.

Jayson

Experienced Chatterer
My drumming site is rather successful - at least the connected Facebook page. Nonetheless, the question that bugs me is, "Are they coming to the forum?". I mean, that's the goal.

O.K., in other news, I had a math forum, but sold it and I also have a webmaster and general music one.

Alexander

Experienced Chatterer
I used to be a website owner. Recently, I sold my youtube promotional board which has over 1,000 posts and over 400 members. I was the founder of this forum since the year 2007 and this isn't to say I'm not helping out with the product anymore. I've stepped down to an Admin.

_B_

New Chatterer
Yes. I have a relatively new general discussion forums page. It has 54 members so far.

Abizaga

Experienced Chatterer
I own a forum right now for discussing 90s and 2000's nostalgia and talking about childhood memories.Its at about 89 members and 4227 posts atm.
Also I run an archive of a forum I owned and ran back in 2007 which accumulated 180 people and 24,310 posts. Those were the days.

Jayson

Experienced Chatterer
I own a forum right now for discussing 90s and 2000's nostalgia and talking about childhood memories.Its at about 89 members and 4227 posts atm.
Also I run an archive of a forum I owned and ran back in 2007 which accumulated 180 people and 24,310 posts. Those were the days.

Before social media, they had a much bigger shot at being money-makers, I think.

Abizaga

Experienced Chatterer
I agree. The archived forum came at just the right time, recruited to just the right people were brought in. I only wish I could go back to those days. During the days of AVGN GeezeZone (my present forum) probably could have become huge. Maybe even bigger than Q-Army (the archived forum) was. Sadly now I will never know.

PGen98

Experienced Chatterer
Before social media, they had a much bigger shot at being money-makers, I think.
You're not wrong there, I was the community administrator for GameWinners.com (180,000 members, over 8million posts [we purged the DB at times, so it never exceeded 2 mil at a time]), and pre-social media that site was an absolute beast, posts flowing in 24/7 and members galore; however, once social media took hold and cheat codes fell away from gaming, the site did a nosedive and eventually shut down.

Abizaga

Experienced Chatterer
You're not wrong there, I was the community administrator for GameWinners.com (180,000 members, over 8million posts [we purged the DB at times, so it never exceeded 2 mil at a time]), and pre-social media that site was an absolute beast, posts flowing in 24/7 and members galore; however, once social media took hold and cheat codes fell away from gaming, the site did a nosedive and eventually shut down.
I remember gamewinners! I used that site for my cheats all the time! I really miss the early days, but with enough work, even today a forum can make steps to become something. GeezeZone topped my second biggest forum ever (3,557 posts) and is on the verge of outposting my SECOND biggest ever (4,482 posts) so if nothing else I get the feeling there is still hope.

PGen98

Experienced Chatterer
I remember gamewinners! I used that site for my cheats all the time! I really miss the early days, but with enough work, even today a forum can make steps to become something. GeezeZone topped my second biggest forum ever (3,557 posts) and is on the verge of outposting my SECOND biggest ever (4,482 posts) so if nothing else I get the feeling there is still hope.
Yeah, GameWinners was such a great resource for so many people over the years, and really still could be for retro gamers, but the guy that owned the site didn't want to keep it going, so it shut down.

It's absolutely possible to make a forum a success today, it just needs the right niche and the right mix of users to get it started in the early days and then spread the word. It's that early mix that makes all the difference, because without a good core to build around, there's very little motivation for members to return and keep posting.

Abizaga

Experienced Chatterer
Yeah, GameWinners was such a great resource for so many people over the years, and really still could be for retro gamers, but the guy that owned the site didn't want to keep it going, so it shut down.

It's absolutely possible to make a forum a success today, it just needs the right niche and the right mix of users to get it started in the early days and then spread the word. It's that early mix that makes all the difference, because without a good core to build around, there's very little motivation for members to return and keep posting.
Thats a real shame. With the history and memories of that site it could easily have kept going.

The thing is really having to brainstorm an idea that could work conaistantly that fits and is unique enough, too.

PGen98

Experienced Chatterer
Thats a real shame. With the history and memories of that site it could easily have kept going.

Yep, we tried our best to keep it alive and pushing it forward, but the owner just gave up and that was it, the site just died a slow and painful death rather than putting the effort back in. Shame.

The thing is really having to brainstorm an idea that could work conaistantly that fits and is unique enough, too.
Very true, just gotta' find that niche and work with it.

Abizaga

Experienced Chatterer
Yep, we tried our best to keep it alive and pushing it forward, but the owner just gave up and that was it, the site just died a slow and painful death rather than putting the effort back in. Shame.
So the owner just kind of upped and gave up? I'm confused As to why a guy running a successful website would just get tired of it...

Very true, just gotta' find that niche and work with it.
Yeah which is hard as the popular ones like General Chat, Anime, Gaming etc tend to be oversaturated.

Last edited:

PGen98

Experienced Chatterer
So the owner just kind of upped and gave up? I'm confused As to why a guy running a successful website would just get tired of it...

Essentially, yeah, he saw the traffic starting to trail down as cheat codes became more and more a thing of the past, and with mostly retro gamers making up his core market, he started winding down the main site. That left us with just the community for a couple of years, and we did try to rebuild the cheat index, but with almost no help from him it was near impossible...so...we lost the community, too about two years later. Now we're reduced a single Facebook group and a subreddit...ah well.

Yeah which is hard as the popular ones like General Chat, Anime, Gaming etc tend to be oversaturated.

Oh absolutely, it needs to really hit an untapped or underserved market in a unique way to make that impact these days, but it's still possible!

Abizaga

Experienced Chatterer
Essentially, yeah, he saw the traffic starting to trail down as cheat codes became more and more a thing of the past, and with mostly retro gamers making up his core market, he started winding down the main site. That left us with just the community for a couple of years, and we did try to rebuild the cheat index, but with almost no help from him it was near impossible...so...we lost the community, too about two years later. Now we're reduced a single Facebook group and a subreddit...ah well.
Damn... what a sad way for a community to go... Hopefully it's well archived.

Oh absolutely, it needs to really hit an untapped or underserved market in a unique way to make that impact these days, but it's still possible!
I'm glad to have somebody sharing my optomism that the forum isn't dead yet. :)

Top