Which linux operating system do you use?

    Thread Owner : Altair
  • #1
Altair

www.network.justageek.me
If somehow I missed this thread already being posted my apologies.
-
Which Linux operating system do you use?
--
This summer I started using Arch Linux.

Arch isn't bad, I'm a distro-hopper, so I don't really stick with one distro for too long. I used to be absolutely head over heels for CrunchBang (#!), but they went belly-up, and neither Bunsen Labs nor CrunchBang++ really seemed to capture the same magic, so I've been distro-hopping for a good 5 or 6 years now. I'm presently using PoP_OS on my laptop and will be building a new PC sometime in the near for working purposes that I'm hoping to dual boot w/ Win 10 (...for certain tasks, sadly...) and Fedora Cinnamon. I'm quite fond of the Cinnamon desktop environment, and while I'm cautious to use a Chinese-based distro, I do like what Deepin have done with their OS, so I'm keeping tabs on it, as well.

My personal favourites at the moment are:

PoP_OS
Fedora Cinnamon
Linux Mint
Zorin OS
Elementary OS

...and Deepin, cautiously...

I don't use Linux. I have been using Windows since XP was launched and will continue to do so. I never realised that there were so many different types of operating systems for Linux up until reading this discussion.

And there's certainly nothing wrong with sticking with Windows if that's what you're most comfortable with, though Linux is essentially feature-compatible with Windows, depending on the distro you choose.

I think people get a bad impression of Linux because it used to be almost exclusively used by and for people who prefer to do things by command line/terminal; however, these days the desktop environments are so advanced that for some it's just like using Windows or Mac OS, so it's easy for beginners to jump in and use it, too. Linux is mostly about freedom, including the freedom of choice, so there's usually something out there for everyone, but it's entirely fine to choose NOT to embrace Linux, as well! Microsoft makes a product that is point-and-click, simple to use and understand and has essentially 100% compatibility with all software, so there's nothing wrong with sticking with it, if that's what you're comfortable with!

apathy

apathy

how'd i get to be so good?
fortreeforums.xyz
PoP_OS
Fedora Cinnamon
Linux Mint
Zorin OS
Elementary OS

...and Deepin, cautiously...
Quite a nice list, while I've not used any of these distros or the Deepin DE myself they do look to be the most visually pleasing.

I started using Linux maybe 3 years ago, decided the best way to learn would be to get my hands dirty so went straight to Arch. Haven't seen a reason to change. I did try out Gentoo in a VM and got it up and running with no real issues but Arch just makes more sense for me, I don't really want to waste extra electricity compiling every library from source when I personally have no reason to do that.

I think people get a bad impression of Linux because it used to be almost exclusively used by and for people who prefer to do things by command line/terminal; however, these days the desktop environments are so advanced that for some it's just like using Windows or Mac OS, so it's easy for beginners to jump in and use it, too. Linux is mostly about freedom, including the freedom of choice, so there's usually something out there for everyone, but it's entirely fine to choose NOT to embrace Linux, as well! Microsoft makes a product that is point-and-click, simple to use and understand and has essentially 100% compatibility with all software, so there's nothing wrong with sticking with it, if that's what you're comfortable with!
Great to see this sort of attitude here, I hate the "one-or-the-other" approach many take on Reddit. You use the right tool for the job. In my case, I'm a gamer and a tinkerer, I like playing around with my OS and the majority of my Steam library works thank to the magnificent efforts of Codeweavers, Valve, DXVK dev and everyone else involved. For the couple games that don't, a Windows 10 dualboot is kept around.

It is totally true that things aren't exclusively done in the terminal, and I really wish this misconception would go away. There are times you're probably gonna have to use it, but we shouldn't forget "sfc /scannow" and "ipconfig" are commonly suggested in Windows troubleshooting guides too.

Quite a nice list, while I've not used any of these distros or the Deepin DE myself they do look to be the most visually pleasing.

I started using Linux maybe 3 years ago, decided the best way to learn would be to get my hands dirty so went straight to Arch. Haven't seen a reason to change. I did try out Gentoo in a VM and got it up and running with no real issues but Arch just makes more sense for me, I don't really want to waste extra electricity compiling every library from source when I personally have no reason to do that.

No worries there, Arch is a fine distro and if it's what works for you, go for it! I just like distro hopping and trying out what everyone has to offer. That's what works for me, but it doesn't work for everyone, and that's perfectly fine. There is nothing wrong with Arch, that's for sure! It's one of the more well-rounded distros going today, alongside the likes of Fedora and Mint, so a very solid option!

Great to see this sort of attitude here, I hate the "one-or-the-other" approach many take on Reddit. You use the right tool for the job. In my case, I'm a gamer and a tinkerer, I like playing around with my OS and the majority of my Steam library works thank to the magnificent efforts of Codeweavers, Valve, DXVK dev and everyone else involved. For the couple games that don't, a Windows 10 dualboot is kept around.

It is totally true that things aren't exclusively done in the terminal, and I really wish this misconception would go away. There are times you're probably gonna have to use it, but we shouldn't forget "sfc /scannow" and "ipconfig" are commonly suggested in Windows troubleshooting guides too.

Yep, I've never been on the "oh, I use Windows/Mac/Linux so I'm superior!" bandwagon. I prefer to have options open to me and support the development of as many platforms as possible, though I openly admit I dislike Apple and the MacOS (still doesn't stop me from being perfectly ok with others using their products). Use what makes you happiest and works best for your situation, because there is no one stop solution that is going to work best for everybody, so bandwagoning is just silly.

Agreed, it would be fantastic if people would shed the notion that Linux is just for BASH scripting experts, that's far from the truth and it has so much more to offer than just a command line interface.

Jason5

Jason5

India
indianwebtalk.com
I have tried Linux Mint, Ubuntu and now i have settled with Solus and i am so happy with it. I won't be switching to any other distro. And i said bye bye to Windows long ago so no turning back now.

  • Like
Reactions:PGen98