What should i need to upgrade GPU OR CPU ?

Noah

New Chatterer
Hi, I work as a freelancer and my field is video editing. I have core 2 duo pc but it goes stuck when I start rendering the video. Do you think I should change my CPU or buy a good GPU ?. Kindly recommend me a good one

apathy

how'd i get to be so good?
CPU for sure, for video editing you want someting that performs well in multithreaded workloads. This is where the AMD Ryzen CPU's absolutely wipe the floor with Intel. However it would require a different motherboard as Intel & AMD use different chipsets & socket types.

Noah

New Chatterer
CPU for sure, for video editing you want someting that performs well in multithreaded workloads. This is where the AMD Ryzen CPU's absolutely wipe the floor with Intel. However it would require a different motherboard as Intel & AMD use different chipsets & socket types.
Then why most of people buy GPU?. I did a lots of searching and spend my hours on it and all i heard people are prefer GPU more than CPU

apathy

how'd i get to be so good?
Then why most of people buy GPU?. I did a lots of searching and spend my hours on it and all i heard people are prefer GPU more than CPU
I have mostly heard high core count CPUs being recommended for such tasks but I suppose that would be if render times were unacceptable. I've looked at a few threads on reddit just now and it seems the general consensus is that a GPU can be better if real-time playback when there's lots of effects is what gives you issues.
Since you say in your OP that it gets stuck rendering, I would be inclined to believe the CPU just can't keep up.

LEADTECH

New Chatterer
You must have a good CPU first try to buy Ryzen chips because it is the best for editing videos and add some GPU for rendering.

ewpratt

New Chatterer
The CPU is definitely the first thing to consider in addition to plenty of RAM. A GPU doesn't really have much impact on video editing unless you are trying to do really fine details in HD, and even then a strong CPU and plenty of RAM is still a need.

Alexandoy

Experienced Chatterer
Rendering a video really takes time. On my desktop that is running on Windows XP it takes about an hour to render a video of 10 minutes long. If I would have a video card then the speed would be faster by 50% or even more depending on the memory of my desktop. My friends say that the laptop is better to use in video editing because the motherboard is designed for the image. I am not sure about it because it is the desktop that I had been using all the time.

ewpratt

New Chatterer
Rendering a video really takes time. On my desktop that is running on Windows XP it takes about an hour to render a video of 10 minutes long. If I would have a video card then the speed would be faster by 50% or even more depending on the memory of my desktop. My friends say that the laptop is better to use in video editing because the motherboard is designed for the image. I am not sure about it because it is the desktop that I had been using all the time.

It really does depend on the laptop. The one I am using is in the mid-high range and can handle graphic rendering pretty well. My previous laptop, even though was (at the time) a "gaming" laptop, really could not render graphics too well.

Top