What's new

Welcome To Chatbanter

Chatbanter is a general discussion site giving you many options for discussion and a little fun, enjoy colored usernames, special userbars and an open fun community so let's chat about what matters to you right now.

Video games are attractive!

Thread Owner : Neutral Nova
Neutral Nova

Neutral Nova

Valued Member
Nov 8, 2020
CB$
Why video games are attractive?

Another investigation has found why individuals appreciate playing video games to such an extent. ... The attraction to playing videogames and what makes them fun is that it gives people the chance to think about a role they would ideally like to take and then get a chance to play that role," explained lead researcher, Dr. Andy Przybylski.

PGen98

PGen98

Community Leader
Community Advocate
Valued Member
Jun 27, 2020
CB$
I agree that there's an appeal to playing video games, and that is why they continue to catch on more now than ever before. In my case it was never about the chance to assume a role, it was always about the escapism aspect. I started gaming when I was very young, and back then it was just a distraction, a toy. Then, however, I started to get more involved in gaming, meeting and talking with people because of a shared love of games (this was pre-online gaming, so meeting through forums, instant messengers, or even real life), and then gaming became more about getting away from things for a while. Having fun playing a racing game, getting out anger playing an FPS, or playing through a story-driven RPG in lieu of watching a movie...it was fun! It got me away from things, and that's how it's been ever since for me. A bit of escapism and a lot of fun! Can't take it too seriously or you lose the joy of it all, but these days it really can be like playing through a movie nowadays.

S

sliara

Valued Member
Oct 9, 2020
CB$
Not sure about that that since I play video games solely for entertainment purposes only, not for role playing. I'm also not into role playing games.

apathy

apathy

how'd i get to be so good?
Valued Member
Aug 17, 2020
fortreeforums.xyz
CB$
I totally see this being a contributing factor for a lot of people but it's not something I've ever found myself really agreeing with, personally. I totally would have pretended i was Link playing the Legend of Zelda as a kid, but otherwise I've never really self-inserted or roleplayed, even if the game I'm playing is an RPG.

To me, video games (especially these days) aren't much different from movies, but instead won't really progress until you physically perform an input on the controller... for someone with a poor attention span like me, it's preferable to a movie, which will continue regardless of how much attention I'm paying to it.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.