Using the laptop, tablet or phone while plugged for charging

Alexandoy

Experienced Chatterer
I have been reading many issues about a plugged laptop or gadget that it should not be used for it may explode. Another said that using while plugged will have a negative effect on the battery that it shortens the battery's life. When I asked some technicians of the laptop, they said different things like one said it is no issue - it is all right to use the laptop while charging. Now, which is which? Do you have an opinion on the matter?

Hova

Experienced Chatterer
It definitely destroys the battery life. The exploding part I'm not really sure about.

bomb

Experienced Chatterer
Well, both answers were right. The new SMART battery system has been designed to stop charging when it is full and start using the power directly from the source. This was a big problem in old form factor laptops. Where the battery would continue charging even after it has reached its capacity.

it is good practice to remove the charger once it is full. But again, with age, comes the need for continuous charging.

Hova

Experienced Chatterer
I ruined both of my previous phone batteries that way. There was a time I was addicted to youtube and watching movies on my phone. So my phone would spend most of the time connected to the power source.

amitkokiladitya

New Chatterer
The battery of my laptop went dead within a year only because I kept using it while it was connected to direct electric supply.

And little did I know, this would have such a detrimental effect on the battery. But now I have learned a lesson for life.

So, this is sure that using a gadget especially the laptop has a very harmful effect on its battery.

Sweerie_banana

New Chatterer
I am charging my laptop as we speak and using it at the same time. So sad. I had used all the power and once it is full I tend to unplug it from the power source although at times I tend to forget to switch it off.

Hova

Experienced Chatterer
But I feel like sometimes I do it on purpose. I know very well that using my phone when it is connected to the power is going to destroy my battery, but I still do it.

sliara

Experienced Chatterer
I don't think it destroys the unit, it just prolongs the charging time. I have always used my phone while charging and it never malfunctioned, just longer charging time.

Nocturnal Thinker

Experienced Chatterer
Well using the electronic gadgets such laptop, tablet, cellphone or the like is not good for the following reasons which are to be validated:

1. Batterry's life is shortened.
2. The gadget's battery might explode.
3. The gadget's life is affected.

I emphasize there that they're to be validated. We may hear that some are complaining that the battery of their gadget is easily drained. I don't think so. Probably their battery's life span is fully exhausted.

The battery of the gadget may explode. It is likely to happen for it depends on the kind of battery. The latest gadget has a safety feature to prevent the gadget or the battery to overheat.

Hova

Experienced Chatterer
Well using the electronic gadgets such laptop, tablet, cellphone or the like is not good for the following reasons which are to be validated:

1. Batterry's life is shortened.
2. The gadget's battery might explode.
3. The gadget's life is affected.

I emphasize there that they're to be validated. We may hear that some are complaining that the battery of their gadget is easily drained. I don't think so. Probably their battery's life span is fully exhausted.

The battery of the gadget may explode. It is likely to happen for it depends on the kind of battery. The latest gadget has a safety feature to prevent the gadget or the battery to overheat.
I can attest to the "battery draining easily" claim. That has happened a lot to my Blackberry batteries.

Anuj Dhawan

New Chatterer
I believe - it is perfectly fine to use your laptop while plugged in and fully charged. Laptops these days are designed to be used while plugged in, as most automatically switch to a power saving mode when running on battery only to extend usage. I've not personally observed that charging while using the laptop has ruined it anyway.

Hova

Experienced Chatterer
I hear new ones have counter-measures put in place. I need an upgrade, like yesterday.

Top