Using charcoal for roasting

    Thread Owner : Alexandoy
  • #1

There was a friendly debate in one gathering that I had attended before the covid came to town. The issue is the barbecue that uses charcoal for roasting. If you remember the Christmas song about the chestnuts, we also roast that on charcoal here. Now this question - is the use of charcoal producing air pollution? My answer is yes but it is very minimal unless all of us will be having barbecue every day.

  • Like
Reactions:nangk08

Human activities are causing pollution. Even things like raising cattle for dairy and meat industry is causing greenhouse gas emission, which is also some sort of pollution. We should concentrate on bigger things when it comes to controlling pollution for example stop using vehicles powered by fossil fuel.

I agree, people use charcoal occasionally and not as a daily practice. More pollution is caused by industries and thousands of vehicles plying on the roads than by charcoal in cooking.

Jeremy

Jeremy

Using of charcoal produce both air pollution and particulate matter, which is dangerous to human body. Unless if it can be used in a closed system, that the smoke and particulate will not dispersed to the society.

Yes, it's harmful, but not as harmful as air pollution, so I don't think using charcoal is a bad idea. A lot of food vendors cook barbeque everyday.