Joined
Jul 25, 2020
Messages
177
Reaction score
27
CB$
5,722
I don't think expensive laptops are cool.
I believe laptops got short lifespan and not to mention that you could always use a desktop computer at home, I don't see why we need expensive laptops.

I used to think backlight laptops are cool but now I believe a basic laptop can do the trick. I have a desktop computer at home and for that I wouldn't mind getting expensive resources and upgrades. Is it the same for you guys? Or would you like an expensive laptop for yourself? If so, why?

It depends what you need the laptop for. If you're talking basic internet browsing, youtube video watching and posting on social media or forums, then yeah, you don't need an expensive laptop for any of that; however, if you're needing a laptop for programming, debugging, compiling, and so forth, then you're going to need something a bit more power to it than you can typically find the three-digit price range. So while not everyone needs an expensive laptop, some legitimately do, and sadly, you absolutely get what you pay for in the laptop market, so some need to go high end.

I've never had a laptop in my life. I always go for desktop computers as @Claraviolet has mentioned laptops have shorter life spans. If you are going to pay big bucks for a laptop, why not just buy a desktop computer instead? That way you never have to deal with charging it up as it's always plugged in. If you need a laptop for work however then it's good to get a laptop.

My first laptop was an HP that was on sale for 34,000 pesos which is about $700. It was running on Windows 7 and it was a great buy... until after 2 years when it wouldn't boot anymore. I brought it to the dealer's technician and thereafter to 3 other technicians. They are all in one opinion that my laptop's motherboard is broken. A replacement is not an option because it costs as much as $700. That was last year and until now I am still scouting for a cheap brand new laptop.

Expensive laptops are expensive not without a reason. In my home country, you can get a laptop for as little as $350. However, these laptops are using an older version of the processor and have pirated software installed. However, if you pay at least $1000 you can get a laptop with the latest version of processor and genuine software. Expensive laptops have better specs.

Expensive laptops are expensive not without a reason. In my home country, you can get a laptop for as little as $350. However, these laptops are using an older version of the processor and have pirated software installed. However, if you pay at least $1000 you can get a laptop with the latest version of processor and genuine software. Expensive laptops have better specs.
There's a few misconceptions here. First, no laptop will use pirated software that's sold by or from a retailer or manufacturer. There likely are some through shady marketplaces and such, but legitimate retailers will not sell you a product with pirated software, ever. As for older processors, it's usually a lower-end budget processor that's one to two generations back at this price point, so not archaic, but when you spend for a budget product, you get a budget product. It's not built for anything more than web surfing, ultimately. However, don't just assume that because you're spending money on something expensive you're getting quality, do your research on anything before you buy it! Apple being a prime example, they're expensive, but you can match their specs and performance for far cheaper than what they sell their hardware for. Every major manufacturer has one or two models that are just expensive for the sake of being expensive. The caveat is to do your research, don't just buy it because company A makes it, or everyone else crushes on company B.

So yeah, you'll get what you pay for a lot of the time, meaning you really should be looking at a laptop at or near the $1k side of the scale (and they go far beyond that price if you dig deeper), because you get your money's worth MOST OF THE TIME. No matter what always do your research on a product before you buy and you'll soon find what you're actually after.

[...]

Thank you very much for a detailed explanation of the topic. Since I mentioned "in my home country" in my post, I will stick to my words in this reply. I am from Nepal and Nepal is tagged between China and India. The Nepalese market is glutted with products from India and China. China is notorious for producing counterfeit products and the Nepalese market brims with counterfeit Chinese products. When I said, "pirated software" I meant counterfeit laptops using counterfeit software. Since these products are cheap, a lot of people, especially students use these laptops. When I mentioned about $1000 laptop, I was referring to the laptops made in Korea, Japan, or the United States.

Thank you very much for a detailed explanation of the topic. Since I mentioned "in my home country" in my post, I will stick to my words in this reply. I am from Nepal and Nepal is tagged between China and India. The Nepalese market is glutted with products from India and China. China is notorious for producing counterfeit products and the Nepalese market brims with counterfeit Chinese products. When I said, "pirated software" I meant counterfeit laptops using counterfeit software. Since these products are cheap, a lot of people, especially students use these laptops. When I mentioned about $1000 laptop, I was referring to the laptops made in Korea, Japan, or the United States.
Ah, this makes a lot more sense, and my apologies for not knowing your local market. It is unfortunate counterfeits are so prevalent in and around China, though I suppose it makes sense for students on a budget.

Back
Top