Thoughts on expensive laptops

Ah, this makes a lot more sense, and my apologies for not knowing your local market. It is unfortunate counterfeits are so prevalent in and around China, though I suppose it makes sense for students on a budget.
Electronic items from China are very cheap and you are right that they are okay for those with no budget. I bought a wireless keyboard with free wireless mouse for only $5. That was 5 years ago. Until now I am using that keyboard in my desktop (I am actually using it now to make this post). I also bought an AVR - automatic voltage regulator which is also okay since 2015.

Jaden_66

Jaden_66

Valued Member
Feb 8, 2021
Expensive laptops have their different qualifying criteria's. Like for example the macbook pro is amazing at coding and editing videos on the go, gaming laptops are amazing on the go gaming set ups. But getting expensive business laptops is absurd and stupid. Plus you can upgrade your 5-6 Gen intel chip M processor laptop to a great extent by just adding an SSD hard drive and enjoy super fast processing.

Tumbleweed

Tumbleweed

Valued Member
Feb 6, 2021
United States
If you do not need to store a lot of information or photographs, then a Chromebook is an excellent choice for a cheap laptop. The Chromebook is different from most laptops in that it has almost no storage space, and instead, everything is stored in the cloud.
For a regular laptop user, this would work fine if what you are doing is surfing the web, watching youtube videos, doing surveys and forums, and things like that.
I had one for a while, and it operates just like any other laptop , as long as you are not needing to store things in the computer itself. As an added feature, the Chromebook also had a touch screen so it could be used like a tablet if you wanted to do that; but there was the built in keyboard for when you wanted to be typing something.

Sweerie_banana

I am not so much into expensive things. As long as it's serving it's purpose, I don't need my laptop or gadgets to be expensive or the it thing.

I am a simple person. I have an Acer and it's serving it's purpose well. I live the size of the laptop it comes in handy especially when I am traveling no one knows I have a laptop. I think I could cry dearly if it was an expensive brand and I end up losing it. Simplicity at it's best.

One of the cheapest laptops I ever bought has turned out to be the best. It has outlived all my desktops and is still working 12 years down the line. It is an Acer chromebook and for this reason I always go for this brand.

Shane Dunk

Shane Dunk

Valued Member
Feb 7, 2021
In my opinion if you aren’t a gamer, content creator, or want to run simulations in your laptop, a $500–600 laptop with i5 8250U, 8GB RAM & 256GB SSD is enough for you.

Tumbleweed

Tumbleweed

Valued Member
Feb 6, 2021
United States
I wanted another Chromebook that was newer (I gave my old one to a friend who needed a laptop) and I found one on sale from Amazon for around $100 and bought that. This one has no touchscreen, but it had to 14” screen and so it was a lot larger than my 12.9 iPad is. I liked it so well that I ended up buying one of the newer 17.3 size Chromebooks when i found one as an open-box from Best Buy, and I really like that large size because I can read everything so much better.
I found a couple youtube channels that i really like, and I am learning more about using a Chromebook. One channel is called “Tech for Senior” (Which I am) and it explains everything in easily understood terms. The other Channel is exclusively for Chromebooks and it is called “Chrome Unboxed”, and it covers all new Google devices.

I am so used to using an iPad and having a touchscreen that it is taking me some practice to get used to using a touchpad instead of just my finger on the touchscreen. They have the touchscreen Chromebooks, but they cost a lot more and are not in my price range at this point.

Shortie

Shortie

England, UK
www.twitch.tv
It depends on your usage and needs, personally. I have a desktop, but I know people like my boyfriend, always go for gaming or high-end laptops because of gaming, content creation and the like. The way he has his living space set up, he can't have a desktop PC, so his only option is a high-end laptop with desktop-grade performance. So it very much depends on your use and needs. I myself could probably get away with a $400-$500 laptop, but that isn't the case for everyone.