Tennis - US Open

  • #1
The US Open will commence on August 31 in New York City. Defending champion for women is Naomi Osaka who is surprisingly seeded 4th while Australian open Sofia Kenin is seeded 2nd. The number 1 seed is Karolina Pliskova while Serena Williams is the 3rd seed.

On the men's side it is a toss up between top seed Novak Djokovic and second seed Dominic Thiem.

It seems that Djokovic is always up there and keeps moving to the next rounds.

  • #3
My choice for the championship is Naomi Osaka for the women's and Dominic Thiem for the men's. I know that Novak is still the top favorite because of his previous performances but Thiem is a fast rising star that can always have the chance to upset the champion. Personally I find the women's competition as more exciting because of the evenly matched seeds.

  • #4
As expected top seed Novak Djokovic made mincemeat of his opponent Damir Dzumhur in 3 sets of 6-1, 6-4, 6-1. Another winning seed is Stefanos Tsitsipas, the 4th seed, trouncing Albert Ramos Vinolas also in 3 sets of 6-2, 6-1, 6-1. It looks like the favorites in the men's singles will be having an easy time in reaching the quarterfinals. That would be good for the tournament to have the top seeds in that stage of the tournament.

Brad P

Brad P

Location
The Only Way Is Essex
Website
chatbanter.com
Andy Murray managed to win his game in spectacular fashion, coming back from behind.
Let's hope he can bring back his form that made him one of the best and hopefully no more injuries.

  • Like
Reactions:Alexandoy

  • #6
Teen sensation Coco Gauff was eliminated in the first round. She lost to 31st seed Anastasija Sevastova in 3 sets of 6-3, 5-7 and 6-4. According to the article Coco had many double faults and errors. Last year she was hailed as a future when she reached the 3rd round of the same tournament. I hope that the loss will not discourage Coco who is only 16 years old and has a lot of opportunities to come her way.

Good news is she is young and hasn't even reached her potential yet. She will learn from this and will keep getting better.

  • #8
Andy Murray managed to win his game in spectacular fashion, coming back from behind.
Let's hope he can bring back his form that made him one of the best and hopefully no more injuries.
I saw the replay of the sidelights. It was a great rally that Andy did against the Japanese Nishioka. Down after 2 sets, Murray extract 2 sets by the skin of his teeth. Going into the last set after a 2-2 the game got a bit comfortable for the former champion that he finally won the game in 5 sets of 4-6, 4-6, 7-6, 7-6 and 6-4.

The second round will pit Andy Murray against 15th seed Felix Auger Aliassime tomorrow.

  • Like
Reactions:Brad P

  • #9
Women's top seed Karolina Pliskova said goodbye to the US Open. After beating Anhelina Kalinina in 2 sets of 6-4, 6-0, Pliskova succumbed to her temper to lose to 32nd seed Caroline Garcia in 2 sets 6-1, 7-6. The early exit of the top seed showed that she is not really that formidable.

As of posting time, sentimental favorite Andy Murray is trailing the young Felix Auger Alisssime by 2 sets.

  • #10
Women's singles #2 seed Sofia Kenin earned her 3rd win by beating Ons Jabeur in 2 sets. After a tied first set of 6-6, Kenin won by 7-4 and the 2nd set was much easier with a 6-3 win. Kenin is the flag bearer for the seeded players since top seed Pliskova had an early exit after losing the 2nd round to Caroline Garcia.

Sentimental favorite Andy Murray lost in 3 sets to upcoming Felix Auger Aliassime 6-2, 6-3, 6-4.