Tap water can harm the plants

    Thread Owner : Alexandoy
  • #1

I was surprised to see the gardening program on tv yesterday about watering the plants. The program host said that using tap water may harm the plants and can cause the leaves to turn yellow. Oh gee, that was what's happening to my strawberry plants. It is the chlorine that harms the plants. Tap water has too much chlorine. The recommended water for irrigating the plants is the water that we use to wash the rice before cooking. For using tap water it should be stored in an open pail for 24 hours to let the chlorine escape.

I was surprised to see the gardening program on tv yesterday about watering the plants. The program host said that using tap water may harm the plants and can cause the leaves to turn yellow. Oh gee, that was what's happening to my strawberry plants. It is the chlorine that harms the plants. Tap water has too much chlorine. The recommended water for irrigating the plants is the water that we use to wash the rice before cooking. For using tap water it should be stored in an open pail for 24 hours to let the chlorine escape.
I use tap water to wash my rice. Does that mean that rice kills all the chlorine in tap water?

We have been watering our plants coming from the water system maintained by the city and we all know that they treat the water with chlorine. And we don't know that chlorinated water isn't good for the plants.

It's good you have mentioned it and we are now aware not to use that tap water to water our plants for it affects their growth. I want to verify it if it's true or not for I haven't heard it yet.

And I have found out that if the chlorine is strong or there's much in it in tap water then it's not. But if it's low chlorinated then it is safe.

I am surprised to read this since I have been using tap water to water my plants for a long time now. But I guess the amount of chlorine that the governing bodies add to purify might differ from place to place. i usually collect the water that I haves to wash vegetables, fruits, lentils, rice etc. and dilute it with plain water. It works fine for me.