Welcome To Our Community!

Chatbanter is a general discussion site giving you many options for discussion and a little fun, enjoy colored usernames, special userbars and an open fun community so let's chat about what matters to you right now.

School subjects...

Thread Owner : Neutral Nova
Neutral Nova

Neutral Nova

Valued Member
Nov 8, 2020
CB$
We have been talking about subjects we might enjoy. This got me thinking...

What did you like at school?

What did you hate?

What were your subjects that you passed your exams in?

Do you remember your grades?

What were your exams called?

sprite1950

sprite1950

Valued Member
Jan 3, 2021
CB$
It's been a long time since I was a school but I remember that I was very good at English and got an A level in it and very bad at Maths and barely scraped through an exam. Little did I know that my love of English would bring me to online writing all those years ago. I passed exams in English Lit, Sociology, French, Art and Needlework (lol). When I left school I went to college and learned shorthand and typing and I was a secretary for some time before having children.

Reactions:preacherbob and Neutral Nova
    Thread Owner : Neutral Nova
Neutral Nova

Neutral Nova

Valued Member
Nov 8, 2020
CB$
That's good

Reactions:sprite1950
Spikey

Spikey

Valued Member
Jul 21, 2020
CB$
I wasn't a big fan of school but High school wasn't too bad, maybe because I knew I would be done with school shortly but my worst subjects were Math and Science and I was really good in Social and English class and of course the option classes like food class and music. I probably could have done better in school as I didn't study or focus on my homework nearly enough. I passed though and that's all that matters :LOL:

Reactions:Neutral Nova
preacherbob

preacherbob

Valued Member
Jan 25, 2021
CB$
It's been a long time since I was a school but I remember that I was very good at English and got an A level in it and very bad at Maths and barely scraped through an exam. Little did I know that my love of English would bring me to online writing all those years ago. I passed exams in English Lit, Sociology, French, Art and Needlework (lol). When I left school I went to college and learned shorthand and typing and I was a secretary for some time before having children.
Perhaps it might be rather presumptuous on my part but that “1950” displayed in your username probably means that we are of the same age?
The question: Do they even teach Gregg’s shorthand any longer?

Until I hit the 6th grade I did lousy in school chiefly because, as it was discovered, I was bored. No brag intended but I was reading the classics and had memorized the Periodic Table of Elements by the time I hit 10.
Long story short, a teacher entered me into an experimental program and I did well and loved it. I was able take on a science curriculum and felt like I never wanted to leave school albeit I was rather illy prepared to take Latin along with everything else.
That said, it was a necessary evil and I kinda sorta did okay.

Reactions:Neutral Nova and sprite1950
S

sliara

Valued Member
Oct 9, 2020
CB$
As with most students, I usually flunked in Math and in other subjects that require calculation, but in the subjects that don't require much thinking I pass moderately.

Reactions:Neutral Nova
sprite1950

sprite1950

Valued Member
Jan 3, 2021
CB$
Perhaps it might be rather presumptuous on my part but that “1950” displayed in your username probably means that we are of the same age?
The question: Do they even teach Gregg’s shorthand any longer?

Until I hit the 6th grade I did lousy in school chiefly because, as it was discovered, I was bored. No brag intended but I was reading the classics and had memorized the Periodic Table of Elements by the time I hit 10.
Long story short, a teacher entered me into an experimental program and I did well and loved it. I was able take on a science curriculum and felt like I never wanted to leave school albeit I was rather illy prepared to take Latin along with everything else.
That said, it was a necessary evil and I kinda sorta did okay.
You are correct. I was 70 at the end of last year. I learned Pitman shorthand so don't know much abut Greggs. Even while I was working they were switching to audio typing as it was more convenient for bosses to record letters they wanted typed. Is shorthand even used these days?

You sound as if you had a good education @preacherbob. May I ask what country you are from?

Reactions:preacherbob
preacherbob

preacherbob

Valued Member
Jan 25, 2021
CB$
You are correct. I was 70 at the end of last year. I learned Pitman shorthand so don't know much abut Greggs. Even while I was working they were switching to audio typing as it was more convenient for bosses to record letters they wanted typed. Is shorthand even used these days?

You sound as if you had a good education @preacherbob. May I ask what country you are from?
A fellow Boomer it is then! Excellent! I am from the U.S. and will be celebrating the anniversary of my birth in just 13 more days and frankly I’m looking forward to hitting 71.

Back to education.
In answer to your question......dunno. From my somewhat limited understanding, some schools are treating cursive writing almost as an elective so the question of whether or not someone teaches short hand any longer? I think not but again...I do not know.
Alas, I fear that both forms of communication have lost their ground and have been replaced with speed writing on one’s cell phone and as you wrote, audio dictation.

Gone are the days when a teacher expected a paper to be written neatly, in ink and yes, using the cursive form of writing. Heck, at one time the more beautiful and exact the handwriting was, the better one’s grade would be. I had one Engl. Lit. instructor who would “Almost“ accept garbage for a book report as long as the handwriting was well practiced.
Hmmmmm......for that matter, do students have to hand in book reports any longer?

Reactions:sprite1950
sprite1950

sprite1950

Valued Member
Jan 3, 2021
CB$
A fellow Boomer it is then! Excellent! I am from the U.S. and will be celebrating the anniversary of my birth in just 13 more days and frankly I’m looking forward to hitting 71.

Back to education.
In answer to your question......dunno. From my somewhat limited understanding, some schools are treating cursive writing almost as an elective so the question of whether or not someone teaches short hand any longer? I think not but again...I do not know.
Alas, I fear that both forms of communication have lost their ground and have been replaced with speed writing on one’s cell phone and as you wrote, audio dictation.

Gone are the days when a teacher expected a paper to be written neatly, in ink and yes, using the cursive form of writing. Heck, at one time the more beautiful and exact the handwriting was, the better one’s grade would be. I had one Engl. Lit. instructor who would “Almost“ accept garbage for a book report as long as the handwriting was well practiced.
Hmmmmm......for that matter, do students have to hand in book reports any longer?
Both my mum and my granny had the most beautiful handwriting. I still have letters from them that I have kept and marvel at the intricacy of the letters. Mine is more of a scrawl especially since I learned to do shorthand.

Yes my granddaughter still has exercise books and in normal circumstances she has to hand in her homework as we used to. Since the pandemic it is all online of course.

Reactions:preacherbob

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.