What's new

Welcome To Chatbanter

Chatbanter is a general discussion site giving you many options for discussion and a little fun, enjoy colored usernames, special userbars and an open fun community so let's chat about what matters to you right now.

Planting trees to get more oxygen

Thread Owner : Alexandoy
Alexandoy

Alexandoy

Valued Member
Aug 4, 2020
CB$
Our education department's plan to require graduating high school students of planting 10 trees is commendable. However, the downside of that requirement is the realism. In the urban areas, where would the students plant the trees and how can it be monitored if the trees are take care of. I can imagine that the students would buy 10 seedlings, plant it anywhere, take pictures are proof and that's it. When the seedlings die they wouldn't care because they are already secured with the graduation diploma.

Reactions:ZandraJoi and nangk08
nangk08

nangk08

Valued Member
Jul 30, 2020
CB$
This is the same kind of a silly thing that the governments are prone to do. Make some rules and regulations without considering the plausibility and workability of such rules. In urban scenarios, there is lack of land which belongs to no one in general and no assurance that the trees would remain safe there even if planted. who will guarantee that the trees planted by the students will always remain there without someone cutting them down to build something on the land.

Reactions:ZandraJoi
nomad

nomad

Valued Member
Dec 13, 2020
CB$
My home country has a law, for every one tree in a public place cut down, a person or business enterprise should plant 25 more and hand it over to the forestry department. However, this does not include trees planted on private property. Sadly, this law is most of the time overlooked.

Reactions:ZandraJoi
S

sliara

Valued Member
Oct 9, 2020
CB$
As a former student, I don't really approve of this bill, it seems unnecessary and it's too many starting from 10 trees. They would be required to plant it outside their home also, so it's quite an effort.

nomad

nomad

Valued Member
Dec 13, 2020
CB$
Our education department's plan to require graduating high school students of planting 10 trees is commendable. However, the downside of that requirement is the realism. In the urban areas, where would the students plant the trees and how can it be monitored if the trees are take care of. I can imagine that the students would buy 10 seedlings, plant it anywhere, take pictures are proof and that's it. When the seedlings die they wouldn't care because they are already secured with the graduation diploma.
In our home country, it is mandatory to play 25 trees for every one tree you cut down, even if the tree is on your private property. sadly, this provision is even overlooked by the government when they cut down trees during development works.

ZandraJoi

ZandraJoi

Valued Member
Jan 3, 2022
CB$
Some places have green roofs. While they can't hold a full tree, they can support the weight of smaller shrubs. That is an option for urban & city areas.

Cumulus

Cumulus

Valued Member
Jan 10, 2021
CB$
I agree the scheme you mentioned sounds a bit :/ difficult to enforce.

Actually planting trees is one thing, but caring for them to grow and taking care of them is another. Unfortunately a lot of these schemes are quite tokenistic I feel, and if the trees actually flourish is another thing

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.