Planting trees to get more oxygen

    Thread Owner : Alexandoy
  • #1

Our education department's plan to require graduating high school students of planting 10 trees is commendable. However, the downside of that requirement is the realism. In the urban areas, where would the students plant the trees and how can it be monitored if the trees are take care of. I can imagine that the students would buy 10 seedlings, plant it anywhere, take pictures are proof and that's it. When the seedlings die they wouldn't care because they are already secured with the graduation diploma.

  • Like
Reactions:ZandraJoi and nangk08

This is the same kind of a silly thing that the governments are prone to do. Make some rules and regulations without considering the plausibility and workability of such rules. In urban scenarios, there is lack of land which belongs to no one in general and no assurance that the trees would remain safe there even if planted. who will guarantee that the trees planted by the students will always remain there without someone cutting them down to build something on the land.

  • Like
Reactions:ZandraJoi

My home country has a law, for every one tree in a public place cut down, a person or business enterprise should plant 25 more and hand it over to the forestry department. However, this does not include trees planted on private property. Sadly, this law is most of the time overlooked.

  • Like
Reactions:ZandraJoi

As a former student, I don't really approve of this bill, it seems unnecessary and it's too many starting from 10 trees. They would be required to plant it outside their home also, so it's quite an effort.

Our education department's plan to require graduating high school students of planting 10 trees is commendable. However, the downside of that requirement is the realism. In the urban areas, where would the students plant the trees and how can it be monitored if the trees are take care of. I can imagine that the students would buy 10 seedlings, plant it anywhere, take pictures are proof and that's it. When the seedlings die they wouldn't care because they are already secured with the graduation diploma.
In our home country, it is mandatory to play 25 trees for every one tree you cut down, even if the tree is on your private property. sadly, this provision is even overlooked by the government when they cut down trees during development works.

ZandraJoi

ZandraJoi

Some places have green roofs. While they can't hold a full tree, they can support the weight of smaller shrubs. That is an option for urban & city areas.

Cumulus

Cumulus

I agree the scheme you mentioned sounds a bit :/ difficult to enforce.

Actually planting trees is one thing, but caring for them to grow and taking care of them is another. Unfortunately a lot of these schemes are quite tokenistic I feel, and if the trees actually flourish is another thing