Philosophical One liners....

    Thread Owner : preacherbob
  • #1
preacherbob

Although, in most groups of discussion, philosophy is not really considered something that one might approach whilst speaking of health, a good philosophy of life can indeed be a healthy thing to have.
Epictetus wrote that we shouldn’t worry about the things we cannot change. Certainly, If more people followed that creed there would be less anxiety this very day.
Poor Richard’s Almanac posted: “A penny saved is a penny earned”. No, a penny isn’t a lot of money but once saved we are that much closer to buying that extra pork chop at the grocery store.
Also from the Almanac we have: “ Early to bed, early to rise, keeps a man healthy, wealthy and wise”.

But for every philosophical gem there are caveats such as: ”It’s the early bird that catches the worm” and the retort, “but it’s the early worm that gets caught”.
Or....”The grass is always greener on the other side of the fence” and again the retort, “but it’s also harder to mow”.

So now, with all that in mind, what are your favorite creeds or philosophical treats that we can all chew on and be a bit healthier for.

"Time is gold", that's one common line that I have heard since I was a kid, and I like it and I agree with it. I also like the saying, "Better late than never."

  • Like
Reactions:preacherbob

The ones that I like is 'A Stitch in Time Saves Nine' pretty explanatory and simple too but that is what most people take for granted. Keep sweeping away issues under the carpet until they build into something huge and then need so many efforts to get things sorted out!

  • Like
Reactions:preacherbob

I'm something of a Nietzsche fan, among a few other philosophers, so I tend to default to those when it comes to gobbets.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

"Pass the parcel. That's sometimes all you can do. Take it, feel it, and pass it on. Not for me, not for you, but for someone, somewhere, one day. Pass it on, boys. That's the game I want you to learn. Pass it on" - Mr. Hector (The History Boys)

"Without music, life would be a mistake" - Nietzsche

"One must learn to crawl and walk and run before they can fly. One cannot fly into flying" - Nietzsche

"He who has a why to live for, can bear almost any how" - Nietzsche

"In individuals insanity is rare; however, in groups, parties, nations and epochs, it is the rule." - Nietzsche

...a fair few I like, some more relevant today than ever before.

  • Like
Reactions:preacherbob

Here are some of my favorite one-liners.
Pain and pleasure are two faces of the same coin (Buddha)
All religion is simply evolved out of fraud, fear, greed, imagination and poetry (Edgar Allan Poe)
You should be happy with what you have not not what you crave for (mine)

  • Like
Reactions:preacherbob
    Thread Owner : preacherbob
  • #6
preacherbob

preacherbob

Here are some of my favorite one-liners.
Pain and pleasure are two faces of the same coin (Buddha)
All religion is simply evolved out of fraud, fear, greed, imagination and poetry (Edgar Allan Poe)
You should be happy with what you have not not what you crave for (mine)
The one you produced is an excellent attitude to have.
It’s very reminiscent of what Paul the Apostle wrote: “Not speaking in respect of want, for I have found that no matter what state I am, I shall be content”. (Phil. 4:11)

One other very appropriate bit of comparative philosophy might be:
”Many people lose their small joys in hope of the great happiness”. (Pearl Buck)

Last edited:

The one you produced is an excellent attitude to have.
It’s very reminiscent of what Paul the Apostle wrote: “Not speaking in respect of want, for I have found that no matter what state I am, I shall be content”. (Phil. 4:11)

One other very appropriate bit of comparative philosophy might be:
”Many people lose their small joys in hope of the great happiness”. (Pearl Buck)
The last quote you shared (by Pearl Buck) is really nice. I cannot agree more. Is this Pearl Buck the author of Good Earth? I have read Good Earth by Pearl S Buck is it is wonderful. It tells a story of a Chinese farmer who not only survived the great famine but also got very rich. As far as I can remember Good Earth was granted Noble Prize for Literature.

  • Like
Reactions:preacherbob

I like "Never judge a man until you have walked a mile in his shoes." It's so true because it's easy to make assumptions about people without knowing the full story.

  • Like
Reactions:Brad P and preacherbob