One world, one sun, one grid

Lord Saru

New Chatterer
India has come up with this amazing program called One World, One Sun, On Grid, which I believe is a futuristic program.

It seeks to connect all International Solar Alliance countries to join hands in creating a common grid through which energy derived from renewable sources will be taken from energy rich countries to energy deficient countries and regions.

This is a huge project and can help bring a lot of investments in RE sector and help bring a change in the narrative of fossil fuel based economy.

What do you think of the idea?

Hungry Ego

New Chatterer
Sounds like an awesome project, but I feel that capitalism will take its toll on it as people that actually fund the program will only see dollar signs and that's about as far as it will go.

We need more Elon Musks in the world...

Davidisms

Experienced Chatterer
A dedicated energy grid for renewable sources would be a capital intensive affair. I am skeptical of possible returns. Governments will find this difficult to fund.

Let's see how far this goes!

Lord Saru

New Chatterer
Apart from that there is an inherent danger in energy being privatised in large scale and also that one or more country individually or collectively may use it to dominate or boss the smaller countries who has invested in the project.

The other issue is economic subjugation because producing countries will determine the price and utilizing countries might end up paying hugely and impoverishing themselves.

Jayson

Experienced Chatterer
Anything universal gives me the creeps. Lots of centralization so evil can take over maybe.

nangk08

Experienced Chatterer
Anything universal gives me the creeps. Lots of centralization so evil can take over maybe.
As long as India is taking initiative, you need not worry about hostile takeovers, some other country, it is a likely possibility! But in several thousands of years of history, whenever India has had sufficient power , India has never tried to conquer others!

nangk08

Experienced Chatterer
Sounds like an awesome project, but I feel that capitalism will take its toll on it as people that actually fund the program will only see dollar signs and that's about as far as it will go.

We need more Elon Musks in the world...
Not if it is done in a collaborative manner. I am also a fan of Elon Musk and his efforts to use more electrical energy in transportation, but there are certain drawbacks to such a person's way of singular manner of thinking. eg. the way he is relentlessly sending up thousands of starlink satellites in the sky is posing a threat to study of astronomy and change in the way the sky looks at night, which I am sure is not quite healthy.

Hova

Experienced Chatterer
Nah, I feel like Afrika should be leading this initiative. I mean, we have all the solar the whole world needs here. Also, I would never trust a country that has nuclear capabilities. For you to venture into nuclear weapons, you have to be really evil.

Alexandoy

Experienced Chatterer
Pardon me for not seeing this discussion. I also posted about solar power. I am for clean energy like solar, wind and geothermal. I would also like nuclear if only it is not high risk when there is a leak. Anyway, clean energy is our future. Unfortunately governments seem to be influenced by oil-producing countries not to pursue the direction of clean energy.

Hova

Experienced Chatterer
The fact that more people are pro-clean energy, shows how our generation cares for the environment. Of course people with oil reserves are not going to let this happen.

nangk08

Experienced Chatterer
Nah, I feel like Afrika should be leading this initiative. I mean, we have all the solar the whole world needs here. Also, I would never trust a country that has nuclear capabilities. For you to venture into nuclear weapons, you have to be really evil
Not exactly sure what you mean by that but it seems clear that you think India is evil just because it has nuclear capabilities? Is that what you are saying?
In that case, I suggest you should read up about history of India, its surrounding countries and currently what is happening in the world!

Hova

Experienced Chatterer
You don't build nuclear weapons to fight aliens in space. You build them to drop them on innocent people as they did in Hiroshima and Nagasaki.

nangk08

Experienced Chatterer
You don't build nuclear weapons to fight aliens in space. You build them to drop them on innocent people as they did in Hiroshima and Nagasaki.
Sorry that you do not know much about nuclear capabilities then! You should do a little bit of reading on the subject!

Hova

Experienced Chatterer
Sorry that you do not know much about nuclear capabilities then! You should do a little bit of reading on the subject!
I will do my research but I bet nothing positive is going to come out of it.

Top