Welcome to Chatbanter.

Forumregister.com

My desktop is turning 11 years old

My good old desktop is a last series of pentium that is a 32-bit processor. It is running on Windows XP and it is still serving me good with my needs although there are already issues. It was hit by the Winlogon error and after that I had to changed the CMOS battery to make the settings work. I don't remember how many system disks that were broken so I had to re-install the system on the new disk. What do you think of my desktop?

Not that old, but, i am using a 7 years old laptop too. My office PC is also an old Geeze. A Pentium series dinosaur. :(

An eleven-year old desktop? Nice. The oldest laptop I ever owned was a 2010 Macbook Pro. I had it for about nine years.
Still, an eleven-year old desktop blows that out of the water.

Wow that's a long time. PC's usually have a shelf life of 4-5 years, max. I would definitely look into upgrading to something more modern. Not just for security overall, but stability as well. I wouldn't put that kind of work into saving a Windows 7 or even Windows 8 machine nowadays, much less one running Windows XP. That's basically trying to keep a dinosaur on life support alive, when you can have a brand new baby gecko to raise from the ground up. Okay so maybe that analogy is bad but you get the point i'm trying to make. I definitely would look into getting a newer system for sure.

My good old desktop is a last series of pentium that is a 32-bit processor. It is running on Windows XP and it is still serving me good with my needs although there are already issues. It was hit by the Winlogon error and after that I had to changed the CMOS battery to make the settings work. I don't remember how many system disks that were broken so I had to re-install the system on the new disk. What do you think of my desktop?
Well, i think it is slowing you down. I hope you don't depend on it for serious tasks. The demands of the new software cannot be adequately handled by such a machine. Plus, the support for Windows XP was halted. That means your desktop will be a target for easy hacks when connected online. I wouldn't handle my sensitive tasks like online transactions on such a machine.

I advise keeping it always offline, should not be connected to the internet. And the earlier you dispose of it the better. Or you can continue keeping it as a souvenir. Honestly, at the moment it may do you more harm than good.

In my opinion, an old desktop is still useful if you intend to play old games, since you can't run them on newer models of PC.

In my opinion, an old desktop is still useful if you intend to play old games, since you can't run them on newer models of PC.
It's not just the old games but even the old programs couldn't run on the new computers with new operating system. I am currently experiencing this issue of using old programs that wouldn't run on the new laptop that is running on Windows 7. My old Adobe Premiere version 6.5 cannot be installed on the laptop. But it is running pretty good in my old desktop.

Well I think you should just download a new version on your newer PC, of course like cellphones and tablets they upgrade and will not support old software.

Sign Up

Register now
Existing user? Sign In

If you have an account, please log in