I'm fond of cooking and when I cook I use home made mixes. They really taste well, I agree. However, I believe it's pretty time consuming too - but end results are worth it.

nangk08

Member
  • #3
I'm fond of cooking and when I cook I use home made mixes. They really taste well, I agree. However, I believe it's pretty time consuming too - but end results are worth it.
Yes Anuj, it is indeed time consuming but the effort is totally worth it. But we can make it once in a quantity to last for 3-4 months, so it works out well.

sliara

Member
No, I haven't tried it out yet, I don't think I would push through with it though, it's too much of an effort and time consuming.

nangk08

Member
  • #5
No, I haven't tried it out yet, I don't think I would push through with it though, it's too much of an effort and time consuming.
It does take time and effort but for me, it is worth it. The process of selecting and buying the best spices, cleaning and roasting them and then grinding them - is a long process but exposes us to a wide range of pleasing aromas, some of them take me back to my childhood when I used to help my mum with the same activity. And when I do so now, my son and husband also enjoy the different aromas and so I keep doing it every few months.

sliara

Member
What spices have you done though? And how pronounced are the aromas of the spices that you have you done? They don't seem to smell much.

nangk08

Member
  • #7
What spices have you done though? And how pronounced are the aromas of the spices that you have you done? They don't seem to smell much.
I am surprised you have been unable to smell them, which country are you from? Do you get fresh spices? If the spices are stored for too long, some of them do lose their aromas. I use a really long list of spices and condiments -
Turmeric, coriander seeds, fennel seeds, carrom, cinnamom, green cardamom, black cardamom, bay leaves, black pepper, white pepper, Nagkesar (Latin Name - Mesua ferrea), Black Stone Flower(a kind of lichen), Black Cumin, fennel seeds, Asafoetida, Black Salt/Himalayan Pink salt, Carom seeds, Cloves, dried Pomegranate seeds, Nutmeg, Nigella Seeds, Mustard Seeds, Mace, Long Pepper, Ginger Powder, Fenugreek seeds, Star Anise, Sesame seeds (both black and white), Saffron, Dried rose petals, Poppy seeds. etc.

I may have forgotten some names but these are the most common ones that I use in various combinations.

sliara

Member
Oh I do know that spices have smells, but it's when already cooked that you can already smell them. When they're inside a container then I noticed that they don't smell at all.

ewpratt

Member
That is so nice. What are the spices that you use?

The main blend is a fajita-style, and contains equal parts cumin, garlic powder, onion powder, white pepper, and salt.
Next popular (at home) blend is a Cajun-style blend of 3 parts paprika, 2 parts oregano, 1 part garlic powder, 1 part black pepper.

Outside of the blends, we use a LOT of garlic powder, cumin, chili powder, and black pepper.

nangk08

Member
  • #12
The main blend is a fajita-style, and contains equal parts cumin, garlic powder, onion powder, white pepper, and salt.
Next popular (at home) blend is a Cajun-style blend of 3 parts paprika, 2 parts oregano, 1 part garlic powder, 1 part black pepper.

Outside of the blends, we use a LOT of garlic powder, cumin, chili powder, and black pepper.
Thank you for sharing your spice blends, I would definitely like to try them some time! It is so interesting to read that the spices used around the world are the same, except for for some, but the different combinations and proportions lend them such distinctively and different flavours!

Top