Joined
Jul 30, 2020
Messages
431
Reaction score
91
CB$
10,854
More and more people are now using the biowaste from their kitchens and making their own compost at home. I too have started now, not sure if it will turn out well but nevertheless, I am giving it a shot. What about you people? How do you recycle waste from your kitchen?

I am an advocate of compost because I have been making compost for many years now. I have a compost pit where we put the vegetable scraps and fruit rinds. When they decay the compost becomes very fertile that is liked by the plants. However, I have a problem lately that the ants are attacking the compost bin. I admit that we also put leftover food like rice in the compost pit. It is a problem when the ants are growing in numbers for they enter the house sometimes. Right now we have stopped using the compost pit until the ants are gone.

We live on acreage so our compost consists of tossing it into the woods lol We eat a lot of produce so the creatures finish off the rest.
Wow! You are indeed lucky to own a large piece of land! I guess composting and living off of the land comes naturally to you! I would love to see pictures of your woods! :)

I do gardening as a hobby as well as a recreation and a way to save money. I grow flowers, spices, and vegetables. I also like to manage my waste. By managing my waste, I can easily make compost for my plants. Since I make my own compost, I use organic fertilizer on my plants and grow organic produce.

I do gardening as a hobby as well as a recreation and a way to save money. I grow flowers, spices, and vegetables. I also like to manage my waste. By managing my waste, I can easily make compost for my plants. Since I make my own compost, I use organic fertilizer on my plants and grow organic produce.
That is so nice. Do you have a large garden space? What kind of spices do you grow in your garden?

We have a compost site at home. We usually sort out our garbage and recycle what can be used again before burning all the garbage. You should come up with a list of what to compost. Some food products aren't advisable to compost.

There are plenty of benefits that come with composting including enriching the soil and it retains moisture and helps farmers have the best produce from their farms, you can have natural fertilizer since the chemical-based have many side effects including the soil not being fertile after some few years of using the chemical-based fertilizers.

Backyard composting is the best cause it can take up as much space as you would like and it won't retain the smell inside the house.

@Sweerie_banana that is commendable that you even sort out your garbage for the benefit of the environment (although we also do that). Composting for me is just for personal use although I sometimes teach the neighbor when they are planting something in their backyard. I had never used chemicals anymore and I am also using the fermented fruit juice for fertilizing my plants.

That is so nice. Do you have a large garden space? What kind of spices do you grow in your garden?
I have a small area, probably 20 square feet, in the front and back of my house. In the front yard, I grow flowers and ornamental flowers, where as in the backyard I grow vegetables and spices. I grow vegetables like tomatoes, spinach, okra, and spices like cilantro, garlic, turmeric, ginger. About 50 percent of my vegetable requirements are fulfilled from my garden.

Composting our kitchen and garden waste must be made mandatory for everyone. We are required as a regulation to segregate wet and dry refuse and give them separately. Even then many simply ignore this and there are often arguments ensuing between the cleaners and residents. If everyone took up their duty conscientiously, the world would be so much better and cleaner. Plus we have the added benefit of getting good manure for growing healthy plants.

Back
Top