Making a Living from Programming

    Thread Owner : Jayson
  • #1

Who has considered it? Who does it? Do you feel it's worth it? How about the demand and competition?

O.K., programming seems to be one of those things where - you don't necessarily need a degree, you can just show people you can do it. Well, I think that's often the case.

I was making a living as a Java programmer (worked for a company that made loan origination software for banks using Java + Spring + Velocity, with HTML + CSS + Bootstrap framework), the pay was great, but I had to give it up to take care of my mother full time. I'd go back to it, it's not a particularly fun job, per se, but it's a well-paying job that, with the right people, could be very rewarding (and I don't just mean financially).

Ash

Ash

It is an amazing sector to go into if you are good at it. Even if you're a beginner, you can easily get into coding without a lot of financial investment and you can start with a decent job as well. Like you mentioned, sometimes it's not about the degree but more about the experience/knowledge

    Thread Owner : Jayson
  • #4

Another thing good to get into is math - cause you can tutor it. However, coding might be easier to get into - cause I think the employers are less tight with the degree qualifications - but I could be wrong.

Davidisms

Davidisms

Programming is lucrative job if you are good at it. But. It's also a bit tedious task I guess. But, I have met people who enjoy doing it too.

You also need to keep updating yourself as programming languages/platforms keep evolving, going out of vogue etc.

DudeThatsErin

DudeThatsErin

AZ, USA
erinskidds.website
I have considered it and decided I would do it. I'm working on getting a job as a developer as we speak. It is difficult but I am hoping I have one soon. I'm waiting to hear back from 4 different places right now so there is hope. I'm just going to keep trying until I get one.

  • Like
Reactions:Davidisms
Davidisms

Davidisms

I have considered it and decided I would do it. I'm working on getting a job as a developer as we speak. It is difficult but I am hoping I have one soon. I'm waiting to hear back from 4 different places right now so there is hope. I'm just going to keep trying until I get one.
Best of luck with your endeavor! May be we would see you as co-founder of some BigSoft! (y)

Real hero hidden in the darkness
It's not that hard to make a living using programming alone.
Still, you need to be efficient and optimize the code to save time and money. Usually, when people couldn't get into a big company, they try to start their carrier in a small company.
After getting some experience, then they will try to look for more offers.
It can be a slow progress but as long as you have the passion to pursue programming career, it's not that hard.

Sweerie_banana

Another thing good to get into is math - cause you can tutor it. However, coding might be easier to get into - cause I think the employers are less tight with the degree qualifications - but I could be wrong.
Math or English is easy to tutor. I am applying to be an English teacher.