Linux vs. Windows

    Thread Owner : Syntax
  • #1

Syntax

Have you had the chance to try out any Linux distro beforehand, and if you have, what were your thoughts? Have you tried some of the various alternatives to Windows 10 apps when using Linux (so instead of Office, OpenOffice/LibreOffice or even WPS Office)?

Sweerie_banana

My boyfriend uses Linux since he is so much into coding. I use Windows, it's much easier to operate. Maybe one day I will learn coding.

I've been using Linux in one capacity or another since about 2000, first simply with servers, and then on the desktop. Right now I'm stuck with a Windows 10 machine for reasons I won't bother going into, but I plan on building another machine soon enough that will dual-boot Win10 and either Fedora 32 Cinnamon or OpenIndiana (something about Ilumos intrigues me, I haven't touched anything Solaris-based in such a long time, though...)

As far as what flavours I've tampered with, I'd say near enough everything that's come out over time, since I love to distro-hop. I think a lot of people get the wrong impression about Linux, thinking that it's something you need loads of experience to make use of, and while it does help to have an understanding of the command line and BASH scripting, you can absolutely run a Linux desktop in near enough identical ways you would run a Windows desktop, point and click interface and all. Most of the same software, too. If you can't find a Linux alternative to Windows software with comparable features, then WINE will more than likely help you run the Windows software as if were running natively, or simply start up a Windows VM inside of Linux and run the software that way. Linux is more user-friendly now than it's ever been, it's very, very easy to get into, and you'll thank yourself for doing so.

  • Like
Reactions:apathy
apathy

apathy

how'd i get to be so good?
fortreeforums.xyz
I've been using Linux as a daily driver since about 2017. I agree with @PGen98 in that there's many different options in replicating a look & feel to Windows so transitioning doesnt have to be too difficult.

I settled with Arch as my distro because Linux gaming is constantly improving so it can really help to have easy access to bleeding edge software. I also felt that by the time I had a fully fledged desktop set up in Arch, I would have enough knowledge of Linux that I wouldn't really need to rely on asking the community for help - and this pretty much ended up being true.

  • Like
Reactions:PGen98
Paladin

Paladin

Cyberspace
chatbanter.com
Linux. I played around with Ubuntu on a VM (and there are websites that allow for free VMs online) and it was awesome. It's really user-friendly and you can install basically anything you want if you know a few Terminal commands.

  • Like
Reactions:PGen98

I have only tried using Windows but not other operating systems. I'm not yet familiar in using Linux and Ubuntu.

You should give PoP!_OS a try, it's based on Ubuntu but more streamlined and features a neat Pop Shop, though if you install Snap ( https://snapcraft.io/ ) you can streamline the installation of pretty much anything from a broader, more officially supported store.