Life Sentences

ARx182

    Thread Owner : ARx182
  • #1
I'm referring to life sentences where you will certainly die in prison, not the 'life' sentences where you will eventually walk free. What is your opinion on life sentences? Do you believe in second chances? Does everyone deserve a second chance? Is a life sentence a better punishment than capital punishment?

I think second chances depends on the severity of the crime, if someone robbed a bank opposed to killed/raped someone and they truly repent their actions, a second chance is only fair. For murderers/rapists, rotting in prison for the rest of their life is a far worse punishment than simply having their life ended in a second, in my truthful opinion.

I don't agree with the so-called "three strikes" rule resulting in a life sentence, I think those are terrible ideas, and while I believe there needs to be a lot of reform in the US prison system, that's a topic for another time. I do believe some people absolutely deserve life sentences, but they should realistically only be in the most extreme cases. Premeditated murder, mass murder, etc. Capital punishment should be reserved for acts of terrorism, IMO, and then we work downward from those. As for second chances, yes, I do believe they should be a thing, but in certain cases, absolutely not.

Alexander

Alexander

I believe in second chances as some criminals will generally reform. Choosing not forgiving anyone for their entire existence and never allowing them the opportunity to justify themselves is, unfair and inhumane.

I'm not deferring to why they were sentenced in the first place.

The state killing people makes then no different than the actual murderers. Nonetheless, the Bible backs capital punishment in the Old Testament. I suppose I need to pray/research about the truth on this matter.

Mildredtabitha

I beli3ve in second chañces and I agree with the life sentence .2hat I dont agree with is murder .killing a murderer doesn't make you any different from them.

Second chances are for those that were very immature when they committed a crime, but for those that are already fully mature, then they don't deserve a 2nd chance. They deserve to rot in jail.

Jeremy

Jeremy

I do not believe in second chance in criminal case. Everybody knows the law before committing a crime. So therefore, when one commit a crime, due punishment should be given to that person. Once that can be Archived, it will limit criminal act in the society, and the society will be a better place to live.

I am against capital punishment. Whatever the magnitude of crime it may be, I believe no one has the right to condemn someone to death, life and death are only in the hands of God. I think a better alternative is a life sentence. In our country, a life sentence means 20 years of prison. Someone who is 50 years when convicted of a life sentence may not come out of the prison alive, however, a younger person might be able to walk free after completing 20 years behind the bar. I believe everyone should have a second chance in life. The ultimate judge is God.

I assume we are talking about people who are on Death Row. It's a really hard question to answer because there have been mistakes made and people were executed when they were innocent even though all the evidence seemed to point to them.

However, although I believe in second chances for most, if someone killed one of my loved ones I would have a hard time forgiving them and would want to see them dead. I know that's how I would feel, there would be no forgiveness.