Is planting trees enough?

    Thread Owner : nangk08
  • #1

To save environment, planting more and more trees is needed. Each year we see multiple drives across the globe where millions of trees are planted with at least half of them surviving and flourishing. But is planting trees enough to save the environment? I personally feel that we need to cut down on consumption of many unnecessary things. I mean, why would one need to possess multiple pair of shoes when having just one or two good quality pair of shoes would suffice?

ZandraJoi

ZandraJoi

We need to Rethink what we are doing. Just one thing i.e. planting trees won't be enough to offset the damage that has been done. Our ancestors lived w/o having to check their phone every minute of the day. Or having to buy the new phone 'cos it comes in a pretty color that they like.

  • Like
Reactions:nangk08

There is a program here for graduating students that they are required to plant 100 trees. The problem with that school requirement is where will the student plant the trees? You cannot just plant 100 trees anywhere and even in the forest, you cannot just do that. I guess planting trees is not really the answer to the environmental issue. We have to think of the population, that is the root of all the environmental issues including the pollution.

  • Like
Reactions:nangk08
ZandraJoi

ZandraJoi

There is a program here for graduating students that they are required to plant 100 trees. The problem with that school requirement is where will the student plant the trees? You cannot just plant 100 trees anywhere and even in the forest, you cannot just do that. I guess planting trees is not really the answer to the environmental issue. We have to think of the population, that is the root of all the environmental issues including the pollution.
That is so true! They have to be native trees to not drown out the established ones.

Sweerie_banana

I think solving the pollution issue is a good idea. In my country there's so much pollution around mainly due to litters everywhere. The government tried to ban the use of polythene papers but they are still locally used.

When schools were opened students used to go around cleaning the litters everywhere but due to the schools being closed and students staying at home no one really cleans the environment anymore.

The government usually sends some workers to clean the area but that is once in a blue moon. There is so much dust now that we should really practice cleanliness to avoid the effects of the pandemic. I wish we could come together as a community and clean it ourselves cause it's for our own benefit.

  • Like
Reactions:nangk08
Davidisms

Davidisms

Firstly, It would to egoistic to believe we can save environment. As of now, we are not THAT capable vis-a-vis nature.

But, We can learn to live with it and make an effort to preserve a part we love. Planting trees is definitely not enough. We need to live in harmony and not destroy as much as we can. Reduce use of one time use plastic, Lead a less resources heavy life, Come out of disposable cututre, Try use reusable things, Abandon frequent upgrade lifestyle and try to make most of we purchase etc etc can help us live better in harmony with mother nature.

  • Like
Reactions:nangk08 and ZandraJoi
    Thread Owner : nangk08
  • #7

Firstly, It would to egoistic to believe we can save environment. As of now, we are not THAT capable vis-a-vis nature.

But, We can learn to live with it and make an effort to preserve a part we love. Planting trees is definitely not enough. We need to live in harmony and not destroy as much as we can. Reduce use of one time use plastic, Lead a less resources heavy life, Come out of disposable cututre, Try use reusable things, Abandon frequent upgrade lifestyle and try to make most of we purchase etc etc can help us live better in harmony with mother nature.
I agree! Who are we to save the environment? But then, on the same lines, who are we to exploit what has been given to us so freely? Without thinking of others or nature, we have freely exploited and damaged the environment to such an extent that the damage is now irreversible in so many regions. We have managed to turn paradises into deserts. So it lies upon us to salvage and save what we can. The first step is to reduce consumption, reuse what we have and plant more trees.

  • Like
Reactions:ZandraJoi

When it comes to saving the earth, even a little step counts. Therefore, planting trees substantially helps in saving the environment. When you plant trees the air will be clean because trees will release oxygen, there will be more rainfall and the rain water will refill the water resources on the earth, natural calamities will come to halt as trees protect the lands, thus there will be less landslide and flood.

  • Like
Reactions:nangk08
    Thread Owner : nangk08
  • #9

When it comes to saving the earth, even a little step counts. Therefore, planting trees substantially helps in saving the environment. When you plant trees the air will be clean because trees will release oxygen, there will be more rainfall and the rain water will refill the water resources on the earth, natural calamities will come to halt as trees protect the lands, thus there will be less landslide and flood.
Very true...but it is important to plant more of indigenous trees rather than planting exotic, foreign trees as they do nothing for the environment and are an alien and more a burden to the local water tables, eg. eucalyptus trees planted all over India. They deplete the water tables and turn the soil acidic. So that consideration about what to plant is also important.

Jaden_66

Jaden_66

Feb 8, 2021
Well the issue is that we just don't understand this planet is our space ship, we have a limited amount of resources. Yet still we exploit our planet and its resources like we own everything and everything will be here and nothing will deplete. We're planting tree just to silence our conscious not to improve our planets health to the full potential is has to be restored. It all start from a single droplet. When droplets combine it makes and ocean. So fixing the planet starts from a single person not littering, reducing his carbon footprint, reducing his negative impacts on the environment and taking steps to improve the environment and changing the minds of others around him to save the environment.