How to move away from Shared Hosting?

    Thread Owner : Neutral Nova
  • #1
My family and I are largely on shared Hosting plans, from different suppliers.

I kind of need to move everything into one record someplace to have better authority over everything and to set aside cash.

How would I best get all the information and not fail to remember something?
How unique is shared Hosting from say an overseen VPS?

Have you considered a NAS device? If it's for personal storage, a NAS is essentially a server but on your local network for personal storage. Be a lot cheaper than shared hosting over time.

If it's for more than personal storage, then yeah, you'd probably want to look into a VPS, if the company you presently host with offers VPS services they should be able to transfer you relatively easily without leaving anything behind.

  • Like
Reactions:Neutral Nova
Nabix

Nabix

Location
127.0.01
My family and I are largely on shared Hosting plans, from different suppliers.

I kind of need to move everything into one record someplace to have better authority over everything and to set aside cash.

How would I best get all the information and not fail to remember something?
How unique is shared Hosting from say an overseen VPS?

A VPS would bet suit your needs. However, if you've never used a terminal in Linux, you may run into some issues. You will need a control panel (i.e., Plesk, cPanel, VestaCP, to name a few) to help you administer the server. There is a lot to learn with virtual private servers...

  • Like
Reactions:PGen98 and Neutral Nova

Our problem is not the hosting but the internet access provider or ISP. We are connected to the landline phone for our internet. The cost of internet only in another provider is almost the same but they have no phone line. That makes it expensive so right now we seem to be stuck with the phone company whose internet service is not ideal.