How to make router work effectively?

Nocturnal Thinker

Experienced Chatterer
There are 10 of us at home using the Internet and our Internet Provider is the PLDT network. And I'm using directly the PLDT modem and the rest are shared by a WIFI through a router.

Some of them are complaining that sometimes or even most of the time they get a poor signal or weak Internet connection which is very annoying and irritating for them.

How could I improve the effective sharing of Internet for them with only one router? Is there to make it efficient with it? Or Do I have to get another router to keep it smooth sailing for them?

Alexandoy

Experienced Chatterer
In our connection with PLDT, we were supplied with a modem cum router - that is one device that is the only connection to the phone line and it provides the wifi connection. There are times when the wifi gets slow because there is only 1 line which is shared by 10 users, that is in your case. When one user is downloading then the access gets slow and some other users may experience a hanging access. The solution is to increase the subscription package for more mbps.

Nocturnal Thinker

Experienced Chatterer
In our connection with PLDT, we were supplied with a modem cum router - that is one device that is the only connection to the phone line and it provides the wifi connection. There are times when the wifi gets slow because there is only 1 line which is shared by 10 users, that is in your case. When one user is downloading then the access gets slow and some other users may experience a hanging access. The solution is to increase the subscription package for more mbps.
I do agree with you for you are right and you have the point that the distribution of Internet signal or connection is reduced due to many are sharing it.

As I search it which the network company that suggests that the capacity of bandwidth should be increased by increasing the subscription rate. Another one is used a wifi extender and it is another cost to be paid by the user.

One thing I notice which is free is to place the wifi router strategically so that it has a wide coverage. It should be place away from the corner of the house. It shouldn't have any interference.

Anuj Dhawan

New Chatterer
Distance is always the most important thing: the further you are from the router, the worse your connection will be. Positioning is another aspect too. To give you a ration aspect of height, cosndier you live in a threee floor aprtment, then you should place the router on the second floor for equal coverage all-round.

OTOH, ISPs give you a default router device when you first sign up for their services, and most people stick with what they're given. The problem is that these routers are not high-quality, even if they are still largely good enough for most home users. So if you're happy with your ISP's default router, stick with it. If you aren't, which looks like the case with you then you should consider switching to a better router. That will result in better signal - higher-quality router usually implies a higher-quality antenna.

Top