How much are the paid Softwares?

Naiwen

    Thread Owner : Naiwen
  • #1
I’m looking to start a forum community on mental wellness mostly, which are the cheapest paid forum softwares and TLDs currently on the market please? I have about an annual 200$ budget.

Paladin

Paladin

Location
Cyberspace
Website
chatbanter.com
There's a lot of software that would fit into your niche.
For starters, there's vBulletin, which is not the best software (it has had multiple security flaws over its lifetime). vBulletin will run you 15 bucks per month for the Cloud install scheme, which should give you just over a year with the $200 budget.
Then there's Discourse. The nice thing about Discourse is it's premium software, but you can grab a web server and host the entire thing yourself for free (the Managed plan costs 100 bucks).
Next, there's IPS (Invision Community). It's a fantastic platform, but it's super expensive, with the cheapest plan being a hefty 45 bucks per month - so that one's off the table.
Finally, Xenforo itself. Unfortunately, even though it's an awesome piece of software, the original license is a one-time-payment of $160, so it's not a viable option.

Your best bet is to go with a free Discourse hosting or (dare I say it?) run a vBulletin installation to make the new forum.

But I'm a bit biased. I know you didn't ask for a free software recommendation, but I'll throw my hat out into the ring - try MyBB, it's free. It's a really great piece of software, the UI is clean and polished, and it's super easy to set up permissions and roles like other forums.

Good luck hosting your new forum!

Brad P

Brad P

Location
The Only Way Is Essex
Website
chatbanter.com
I’m looking to start a forum community on mental wellness mostly, which are the cheapest paid forum softwares and TLDs currently on the market please? I have about an annual 200$ budget.
I've used xenforo for 10 years, previously had IPB and I can honestly say the 10 years I've been with Xenforo has been amazing, they continue to focus on what matters for a forum community.

Now the problem is as @Paladin has noted the price. Its not the cheapest and remember once you have the software you will need a domain and hosting.

Is that it? Well nope because you will see plenty of Add-ons that you will want and some are free but others not and can get very expensive... trust me I know ?

Wish you all the best.

Deleted member 132

That's a very difficult budget to work with. Yes there are free softwares out there, but a lot look like they are from the 90s, and have a heavier requirement on coding knowledge. Support varies as well.

I'd consider ways in which you can offer your users something for a small donation, or seek a collaboration with a like minded individual who can contribute to costs.

I've heard discourse talked about positively through many different sites, but haven't used it so can't comment. I would be carefuk using shared hosting as they usually are on the bottom end of "unlimited resource" allocations. They are never unlimited and do vary, and this can easily cause you problems.

Deleted member 132

Is that it? Well nope because you will see plenty of Add-ons that you will want and some are free but others not and can get very expensive... trust me I know ?

Oh boy is this true. My wife to be whinces whenever I mention the word "forum" now ?

  • Love
Reactions:Brad P