How does a forum earn to pay the posts of members?

  • #1
I have been earning money from paid forum posting for many years but until now I still don't know how a forum earns. If it is by Adsense only then that means a blog can earn so much if it gets so many traffic. But many bloggers say that getting a thousand traffic a day is not enough to earn $100 in a month. Anybody here who knows?

I have never owned a forum and never been a part of forum management, therefore, I cannot give an exact answer. Some forums have a lot of members, thus, they have very large traffic, which means they attract a lot of advertisers. When they can attract a lot of advertisers, they must be earning really well. network ads such as adsense or infolinks may not be paying much, they when they manage to sell ad space, they can charge $100-200 for header banner for 30 days.

Nabix

Nabix

Location
127.0.01
I have over 14 years experience in community development.

Thus I spent many many hours working on monetizing websites. Forums are an animal all on their own. Forums are going to gain revenue in these ways:

  • Google Ads (very low return)
  • Affiliate marketing (low return)
  • Viglink (low return)
  • Paid ad space ( low return. Very rare for website to have ad space worth a lot of money)
  • Memberships ( medium return. Depends on active users)
  • Premium content (high return. Depends on traffic and active users)
  • Donations ( medium return. Depends on active users and benefits)
  • Selling of database (high return. Depends on recent activity and size of database)
  • Selling of full website (high return. Same as above)
  • Service provider (high return. Forum would be used as support service.)
These are the top and most common ways a forum will make money. However, there are millions of online communities and the overwhelming majority are funded by the owners of the site or a combination of donations and owner funding.