How do you learn how to program/code?

    Thread Owner : DudeThatsErin
  • #1
DudeThatsErin

AZ, USA
erinskidds.website
I learned via W3Schools and trial & error. I'm learning C++ right now via YouTube videos and trial & error.

YouTube & Reddit have made it incredibly simple to learn new programming languages. I own a subreddit where you can learn how to code. It is linked here if you want to see it. This isn't an ad, I just want to help as many people as I can. :-)

I learned from self-learner books and also took some university courses. Anyway, taking a course always seems to be better, because they push you harder. Anyone else feel the same?

When I first started learning YouTube wasn't a thing and there weren't a ton of online communities for it, but I found as many of them as I could, read as many manuals and guides as I could and just started learning by doing. It's the best possible way of learning, IMO, and back then I didn't even use an IDE, just plain old notepad.

    Thread Owner : DudeThatsErin
  • #4
DudeThatsErin

DudeThatsErin

AZ, USA
erinskidds.website
I learned from self-learner books and also took some university courses. Anyway, taking a course always seems to be better, because they push you harder. Anyone else feel the same?
I agree. Taking courses is A LOT easier.

When I first started learning YouTube wasn't a thing and there weren't a ton of online communities for it, but I found as many of them as I could, read as many manuals and guides as I could and just started learning by doing. It's the best possible way of learning, IMO, and back then I didn't even use an IDE, just plain old notepad.
Wow. That made it very difficult but when you were online you were actually learning and not procrastinating watching other stuff on YouTube or doing anything else like I tend to do... a lot.

  • Like
Reactions:PGen98