How can the senior citizens overcome their boredom in this pandemic era?

    Thread Owner : Nocturnal Thinker
  • #1

Senior citizen

I know everybody's way of life is inevitably affected by the outbreak of Coronavirus. Their day-to-day activities especially their means of livelihood, the studies of the youths and the normal operation of government agencies.

Strict rules and orders are imposed by the health agency and they implemented by the government through the police force. And the people should follow them to successfully contain the deadly virus.

There's no problem about that. But what bothers much is the elderly who keep on staying at home for 6 months since the effective of implementation of the health protocols started in March 2020.

I am a senior citizen. I get bored to stay at home feeling lazy. How can I make myself busy and productive?

image: pixabay

A lot of senior citizens go to the park to play chess. If that is not for you then television is your best friend. I know this is not helpful but the pandemic killed all the fun.

    Thread Owner : Nocturnal Thinker
  • #3

Thanks for your suggestions but going to the park especially the senior citizens are restricted to go there for there's an executive order signed by the mayor prohibiting those who are 21 years old below and 60 above to go out especially in public places.

In watching a TV shows is practical and it's a bit relaxing by those senior citizens may just sit and enjoy their favorite shows or movies while they're sipping a cup of hot coffee or milk and munching their favorite snacks. But in my case, I couldn't disturb my grandchildren and especially my wife who is glued to Netflix for their favorite movies.

Well, I have no other options but to take my phone and listen to good music in Spotify until an opportunity to watch TV comes when they're done.

  • Like
Reactions:Hova
    Thread Owner : Nocturnal Thinker
  • #5

Why don't you try watching Netflix on your phone?
I have it. I have already subscribed with Netflix last June for I want my wife to be preoccupied with her time watching movies in the said video site. That's to relieve of her boredom too.

Since we have a separate cellphone of our own, we watch movies in our most convenient time. Even we are resting in bed or before we go to sleep. Time is no burden to us.

There are so many good movies in Netflix. My wife loves to watch drama, love story, and comedy. While I prefer to watch action-pack films, thriller, and scifi.

At least we have an outlet of our lazy time for entertainment.

I have just reached 70 and I find my life hasn't changed that much since the pandemic started. I never went out much socially anyway and spent a lot of time online so it's more or less the same. I do have custody of my 14 year old granddaughter which can be challenging at times as she is going through a rebellious stage so it;s probably best that I have a quiet life in other respects.

Please do not disturb me, I am busy with my online work, waheehee. Yes, taht is true that working online has been my occupation during this pandemic era. I also do the chores at home but my main line has been and still working online particularly in forums because I enjoy posting there... and earning too.

To be honest I don't know much about senior citizens. I just thought watching tv and going for an afternoon walk was enough, but I guess I was wrong.

I bought adult coloring book for my aging parents. They enjoy spending 1-2 hours coloring tje book. I believe adult coloring book can be a great tool for senior citizens. Another good way to overcome boredom is by playing education games.

To be honest I don't know much about senior citizens. I just thought watching tv and going for an afternoon walk was enough, but I guess I was wrong.
That made me laugh. I guess to someone who is young we do seem like a different breed! I think we have a lot to offer online forums, we gain a wealth of experience as we travel through life so can converse on many different subjects. I was talking to a young guy on a different forum last night and he said "OMG I thought you were a young dude!" If people don't post pictures of themselves we do build up an image of them in our mind through reading their posts. I obviously sound like a young dude.:sneaky:

  • Like
Reactions:nangk08