Hearing Music vs Listening to It

    Thread Owner : Jayson
  • #1

On the movie, White Men Can't Jump, Woody Harrelson's black basketball partner argued that white people could listen to Jimi Hendrix, but could not hear him. Do you think this is the case? Well, I do think stuff like The Blues comes alive if someone has really experienced heartache. They just don't get it until then.

Davidisms

Davidisms

Yeah, One can really grasp something if one has an emotional connect. Somethings just don't resonate with you until then.

Also some profound things only make sense to you if you have achieved required consciousness level. Until then it would be just gibberish or plain stupid to you.

Last edited:
  • Like
Reactions:Jayson

Mildredtabitha

I do both of them but it depends .like i f that song has some things that I can relate to I find myself searching for the lyrics and writing them down.

It made me think that hearing is a bit different from listening when it comes music, and I guess you're right. Hearing doesn't make you pay attention to the music unlike listening.