Healthy and cheap salad - sweet potato tops

Alexandoy

Experienced Chatterer
Top Poster Of Month
Sweet potato tops are the young leaves (and stem) of the sweet potato vine. It is very common in our culture maybe because sweet potato is easy to grow. Just stick a cutting on the ground and there you already have a vine that will give you edible leaves and tuber. Anyway, the sweet potato tops is usually eaten after blanching. The salad dressing is vinegar with a dash of salt and pepper. Some prefer adding a little sugar. As a salad, tomatoes and onions can also be added. The sweet potato tops is rich in nutrients.

Nocturnal Thinker

Experienced Chatterer
Sweet potato or camote tops or green young leaves are said to be highly nutritious when it is eaten half cooked or being blanched. We usually prepare this as a salad same with the river or upland spinach or kangkong.

I love eating this kind of salad which I usually dip it in a mixture of strong vinegar and a soy sauce. It's so yummy. It's too apperizing. This kind of leafy vegetables is easy to plant and grow.

Not only cooked as a salad, they could also be fried. You don't need to parboil them. You just only wash them and soak them to a well beaten eggs in a basin. Then fry them. And they're too crispy when eaten.

nangk08

Experienced Chatterer
Sweet potato leaves are eaten mostly by the farming community who actually grow these crops but they are never available in local markets so I have never had the opportunity to taste them myself. but I have heard they taste really good.

Top