What's new

Welcome To Chatbanter

Chatbanter is a general discussion site giving you many options for discussion and a little fun, enjoy colored usernames, special userbars and an open fun community so let's chat about what matters to you right now.

Healthy and cheap salad - sweet potato tops

Thread Owner : Alexandoy
Alexandoy

Alexandoy

Valued Member
Aug 4, 2020
CB$
Sweet potato tops are the young leaves (and stem) of the sweet potato vine. It is very common in our culture maybe because sweet potato is easy to grow. Just stick a cutting on the ground and there you already have a vine that will give you edible leaves and tuber. Anyway, the sweet potato tops is usually eaten after blanching. The salad dressing is vinegar with a dash of salt and pepper. Some prefer adding a little sugar. As a salad, tomatoes and onions can also be added. The sweet potato tops is rich in nutrients.

Reactions:nangk08
Nocturnal Thinker

Nocturnal Thinker

Valued Member
Sep 15, 2020
CB$
Sweet potato or camote tops or green young leaves are said to be highly nutritious when it is eaten half cooked or being blanched. We usually prepare this as a salad same with the river or upland spinach or kangkong.

I love eating this kind of salad which I usually dip it in a mixture of strong vinegar and a soy sauce. It's so yummy. It's too apperizing. This kind of leafy vegetables is easy to plant and grow.

Not only cooked as a salad, they could also be fried. You don't need to parboil them. You just only wash them and soak them to a well beaten eggs in a basin. Then fry them. And they're too crispy when eaten.

Reactions:nangk08
nangk08

nangk08

Valued Member
Jul 30, 2020
CB$
Sweet potato leaves are eaten mostly by the farming community who actually grow these crops but they are never available in local markets so I have never had the opportunity to taste them myself. but I have heard they taste really good.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.