Location
United States
    Thread Owner : Tumbleweed
  • #1
I am just learning about steel cut oats, and had my first bowl of them for breakfast today. Steel cut oats are actual whole oats that are cut into small chunks, and also known as “pinhead oats” due to the size of the pieces.
Where oatmeal has been steamed and rolled to process it, and instant oatmeal has also been quick cooked , and then steamed and rolled, the pinhead oats are still very natural, and just cut into smaller sizes that make them cook faster and easier to eat.

They have more of the natural vitamins and minerals than oatmeal does, and also have more protein and fiber. Compared to brown rice, they have more nutrients and less calories.
Here's a quick glance at a cup of cooked oats prepared with water and no salt: 165 calories, 6 grams of protein, about 4 grams of fat, 28 grams of carbohydrates and 4 grams of fiber. The same amount of cooked brown rice prepared the same way has about 220 calories, about 5 grams of protein, 2 grams of fat, 45 grams of carbohydrates and 4 grams of fiber.

I have never heard of pinhead oats or steel cut oats. However, I know rolled oats. Is rolled oats same as steel cut oats? Rolled oats are also steamed and rolled and ready to be served. I like oats, therefore, I buy oats whenever I go for grocery shopping. I like oats cooked with vegetables ans seasoning added.

Tumbleweed

Tumbleweed

Feb 6, 2021
Location
United States
    Thread Owner : Tumbleweed
  • #3
I have not found a way to post a picture here yet (from my photo stream ), or I could share a picture. If you have heard of Bulger , then steel cut oats is similar in appearance to bulger wheat.
The difference between pinhead oats and rolled oats is that the steel cut oats are not rolled, they are just chopped into smaller pieces with sharp steel blades, making them easier to cook and eat.

I have really never liked oatmeal very much, and it is just mushy and has no real flavor, except for whatever you add to it. However, the steel cut oats have quite a nice flavor, almost a nutty taste, and they are chewy to eat, and not slimy like regular oatmeal.

What I do is chop up an apple and add a few raisins or dried cranberries into the oats when I cook them, and by the time the oats are cooked , the apple is more like an apple pie taste in the morning oats.
If you soak the oats overnight, then they have softened by morning, and do not take nearly as long to cook.