Having real friends with online friends

Alexandoy

Experienced Chatterer
Top Poster Of Month
For sure all of us have many online friends. But how many of them do you think can be considered real friends? Some years back, I have met a group of my online friends in Hongkong. There were 4 of them there. I again met them when we came back after 2 years. In Bangkok one online friend is now a real friend after the first meeting. There's also another and another. I think there are more than 10 of them that I now consider personal friends that I only met them in Facebook.

LEADTECH

New Chatterer
I found some new friends online.We used to chat and talk into the coffee shop.I met them on a streaming site and then we became good friends.

Brad P

Experienced Chatterer
Love to hear some success stories, i have never met anyone online after chatting to them online to become friends.

apathy

New Chatterer
The only of my online friends I've met IRL were more acquaintances then anything else and met up once or twice to go to gigs. Never really stayed in contact after, but I still certainly believe online friends can be true friends. While I've not met them IRL yet me and some of my online pals have stayed in contact for over 12 years and still talk daily. I reckon I'll be meeting one of them once lockdown eases up more since they moved to the north of my country, but the other one lives in Canada so thats trickier

Davidisms

Experienced Chatterer
Good for you to get some good friends online. I have not been able to find any friends online!

I reconnected with many a school/College chums online though! :love:

Require

New Chatterer
I mean I do prefer meeting people IRL.... But due to COVID-19 it ain't easy but Yea Online Friends are good but they are still strangers tbh and the Internet is a bit dangerous sometimes in a sense Trusting a Online Friend vs meeting IRL Friend (example a school friend/Colleague from work.)

Alexandoy

Experienced Chatterer
Top Poster Of Month
Love to hear some success stories, i have never met anyone online after chatting to them online to become friends.
One time my wife and I were in the airport for Bangkok. I saw a woman in the boarding area that looks familiar. When the announcement of the Singapore flight was mentioned in the public address system, that woman's name came to my mind. Yeah, she was Imelda. I approached her and with a smile, she smiled back and called my name. We are friends in Facebook and it was the first time we met, accidentally. Of course, a picture with her was in order.

Sweerie_banana

New Chatterer
I haven't met my online friends for a while now, but I do consider them my personal friends especially when the feeling is mutual for not having seen each other for a while. I do watch out cause some of them may not be so genuine since people's change and you cannot know what's inside their heart.

Nowadays I am so busy looking for more money that I rarely have time to hang with friends. I feel that they may say I don't have much of the time to spend with them.

Hova

Experienced Chatterer
My friends have thousands of 'fake friends' online. You go to a person's facebook and they have almost 10,000 friends but only know 10 of them personally.

Lord Saru

New Chatterer
I found three of my most prized friends from an online dating site. We have been friends for the past 2 years now.

I miss those days when me and a sweet south African lady would come up online at 6pm and chat over the internet for 3 to 4 hours. At the end of the day, its a testimony to the fact that where you make your friends are not inportant, how you make them is.

Last edited:

bomb

Experienced Chatterer
Since the coming of social media as we know it today, the word "Friends" has changed meaning. Now people seem to be contented with online virtual friends. There is very little to no effort in getting real physical friends in the real world. Quite distributing, because it means the social fabric of our society, that used to bind us together has just been punctured! It will take a lot of time to repair this!

Hova

Experienced Chatterer
i have only heard stories of couples who have met online, but I personally dont know any.

ewpratt

New Chatterer
My wife and I met online, and we've now been married over 11 years. Aside from that, the people I've met from online (that were not part of my local group) never became friends offline.

Nocturnal Thinker

Experienced Chatterer
Most of my FB friends are real for they are my closed associates in my work. We belong to one government agency. We are not only communicating via online through social media like FB but we meet personally as often as we can. We even attended together in the a social gathering before this pandemic.

I have a very limited socmed friends who live abroad. We could only talk or converse or interact in our online job. These friends are scattered all over the world. Some live in Argentina, in Brazil, California, Afghanistan, Holland, Ireland, Japan, China, Indonesia, Kuala Lumpur, Netherlands, Switzerland, Turkey, Ukraine, Venezuela, Yugoslavia and of course most of them are in America.

Anuj Dhawan

New Chatterer
On one of the technical forums I've been very active and as they say that great minds thinks alike :D - I met another great mind from Israel. When he travelled to my country he did buzz me and we met at the airport. Rest is history and we're still friends. I've made couple friends from that Forum. I don't believe dating sites or siblings though - they are full of false accounts.

sliara

New Chatterer
I used to have online friends in the past, but now not anymore. The ones that I met also lost touch with me already. They're great for venting if you happen to find someone sensible to talk to.

Alexandoy

Experienced Chatterer
Top Poster Of Month
I had a plan for my online friends that I have not met yet. It would be like an acquaintance party for maybe 50 to 100 of them. Unfortunately the corona virus came to town so the party did not push through. My friends in Facebook are still awaiting on the planned party because I promised to shoulder the expenses. We already have a venue so it was really sad that the party will not happen anymore. I had experienced one acquaintance meeting with a Facebook friend in a movie premiere.

Top