Have anybody worked with mainframes?

Anuj Dhawan

New Chatterer
Hi,

Subject line says it all - anyone of you here, have ever worked with or used mainframes? What's your experience?

Alexandoy

Experienced Chatterer
I was a computer programmer for our bank's IBM S/370 which was running on DOS/VS. The mainframe is a composed of a big CPU with a footprint like a fridge, a 1403 Printer that uses the continuous form, tape drives and disk packs which are all kind of giants compared to the small hard disk now. I remember our computer's memory was only 144 KB and it runs virtual on the disk of 70 MB. The language we were using are COBOL and IBM Assembler.

Anuj Dhawan

New Chatterer
That's excellent - I never thought that you might have worked with mainframes, this is great to know. I worked with them and still do - they are fun to work with. However, not that well paid in some part of the worlds.

Alexandoy

Experienced Chatterer
Companies here shifted to the micro computers in the year 2,000 that the PC proved to be convenient than the mainframe. I have to admit that the technology now is just too far advanced compared to the mainframe days. And it is not only the PC and the laptop but even the gadgets can be comfortably used for purposes of handling files. By the way, my first mainframe was the IBM that I mentioned above. It was followed by the Wang computer when I worked in London and then IBM 4330 when I worked in the US. Back in our country it was Fujitsu.

Hova

Experienced Chatterer
Companies here shifted to the micro computers in the year 2,000 that the PC proved to be convenient than the mainframe. I have to admit that the technology now is just too far advanced compared to the mainframe days. And it is not only the PC and the laptop but even the gadgets can be comfortably used for purposes of handling files. By the way, my first mainframe was the IBM that I mentioned above. It was followed by the Wang computer when I worked in London and then IBM 4330 when I worked in the US. Back in our country it was Fujitsu.
You have really travelled, my man. I wish I had a cool job that would give me the opportunity to travel the world. Unfortunately, I don't have any knowledge about mainframes but I'm pretty sure I will in a couple of weeks. The reason I'm saying this is because I'm planning on teaching myself how to code. I'm still searching online for free resources so I can officially start this coming month, i.e November.

Anuj Dhawan

New Chatterer
Mainframes are not traditional computers - but I think the word 'computers' makes them misnomer here.
Companies here shifted to the micro computers in the year 2,000 that the PC proved to be convenient than the mainframe. I have to admit that the technology now is just too far advanced compared to the mainframe days. And it is not only the PC and the laptop but even the gadgets can be comfortably used for purposes of handling files. By the way, my first mainframe was the IBM that I mentioned above. It was followed by the Wang computer when I worked in London and then IBM 4330 when I worked in the US. Back in our country it was Fujitsu.
Technology is way different than mainframes era now, however, I strongly believe that mainframes are far from gone. In 1991, technology writer Stewart Alsop wrote, “I predict that the last mainframe will be unplugged on 15 March 1996". In 2002, he admitted he was wrong. “Mainframes will soon be extinct”, pundits have announced regularly. Yet nobody told the mainframes, which remain alive and well, the backbone of world banking and other business systems.

Comparison between desktops and mainframes are inevitable however, I believe they are meant for very different purposes. OTOH, IBM actually never envisioned the market for desktops - they were 'toy computers' for them. However, history knows that home-computers changed the shape of technology dramatically.

Alexandoy

Experienced Chatterer
From the grapevine, most of the mainframes now are used for the network processing and they are called midrange - I really do not know if midrange is the mini computer before of the mainframe. The structure of the PC has changed the standards now. Pardon me for my ignorance on the state of the art now.

Anuj Dhawan

New Chatterer
Mainframes and midrange servers use different operating systems. Mainframes run z/OS or Linux while midrange servers run IBM i. From a hardware perspective, a mainframe is really a distributed network of components, which interact to form a massive computing platform. A midrange server is a single, standalone system, OTOH.

Top