Welcome to Chatbanter.

Forumregister.com

Do you use Plex?

Syntax

Do you use or run a Plex media server? If so, do you just run it for your local usage or do you let your friends/family stream off of it when they want to watch something you have/own?

Yes, been using it for about 3 years now. Mainly for my own use but couple of family also use it occasionally

Yep, I love running my own Plex server, it means I can keep my discs nice and crisp, and yet stream my movies whenever I want to. Right now it's for personal use, but I'm trying to setup a NAS system I can leave running 24/7 and let some family members use it, too. It can be a pain transcoding all of your physical media, but it's so worthwhile in the end, knowing what you have on your server is your own content and it's not just going to vanish one day. A worthwhile investment.

I use Plex and Kodi together and it works great :D
You can do the same if you like. Check here: Streaming from Plex to Kodi
It's neat that you can incorporate Plex into Kodi, but most platforms these days just have a Plex app, and IMO that's a nice and easy way to stream your own content. Is there any benefit to actually streaming via Kodi, or just the "one less app" sort of thing?

It's neat that you can incorporate Plex into Kodi, but most platforms these days just have a Plex app, and IMO that's a nice and easy way to stream your own content. Is there any benefit to actually streaming via Kodi, or just the "one less app" sort of thing?

Using Plex you can easily share the videos from your local storage with multiple devices. Kodi has an excellent interface, simple navigation and amazing playback of content. Plex and Kodi together provide an awesome streaming experience.

Last edited:
Using Plex you can easily share the videos from your local storage with multiple devices. Kodi has an excellent interface, simple navigation and amazing playback of content. Plex and Kodi together provide an awesome streaming experience.
Yeah, I went through and actually installed Kodi and the Plex add-on, it is a seamless experience, so makes a lot of sense if Kodi is your home theatre software, for sure! It's really nicely integrated!

Sign Up

Register now
Existing user? Sign In

If you have an account, please log in