LOGIN SIGN UP FREE!

General Do you still collect retro games?

Brad P
Administrative

I've been trying to collect more retro games, just because I have a fond memory for them, and because one day, I would like to have a collection to give to my children. I would love to get to a point where I have a room dedicated to just video games. With tvs for old consoles, tvs for new consoles, and so on. I'm trying to build up a NES, SNES, Genesis collection right now.

Jayson
Experienced Chatterer

No, but it would be a fun hobby to get into, like collecting vinyl. Anyway, I always enjoyed several of the old classics and was alive when they came out!

Last edited:
PGen98
Experienced Chatterer

I'm an avid collector, most definitely. I've got around 40 systems at the moment and in the midst of a move I've somewhat lost count of how many total games, but that's a slightly misleading number as there was a point in my early days of collecting when I would grab any game I saw, whether it was good or not, so I've got countless garbage titles mixed in with my now more refined collecting tastes where I buy the games that actually interest me.

Jayson
Experienced Chatterer

I'd like to get into that collecting - along with collecting records (vinyl). It sounds like so much fun. Anyway, though, so many retro games are so boring - due to the primitive graphics and/or other things.

PGen98
Experienced Chatterer

I'm curious how far back that collection goes.
In my case the oldest console I own is a 1973 pong clone, otherwise it'd be an Atari 2600 and then it goes from there right up until today's consoles.

I'd like to get into that collecting - along with collecting records (vinyl). It sounds like so much fun. Anyway, though, so many retro games are so boring - due to the primitive graphics and/or other things.
I'd argue the opposite, honestly, a lot of retro games are a great deal of fun because they're more focused on gameplay and story than graphics. They're also considerably more difficult the further back you go, which can be fun.

PGen98
Experienced Chatterer

I would love to not only get a pong console but actually get the damn thing working on my tv.
They're so easily available because they made so many variants and clones back in the 70s and 80s, so they're not hard to find. Getting them up and running on modern TVs is a problem, a lot of collectors keep an old CRT around for older consoles, which isn't practical for everyone, but it's an option...

PGen98
Experienced Chatterer

Most have coaxial cables, though yes, some do have the fork thing and I believe you can get a cheap convertor for that to input into coax and/or composite.

Abizaga
Experienced Chatterer

No, but I do live in the American South. I do like to play New Orleans 2nd line and Dixieland stuff. Well, is that the same?
Eh, not quite lol. Throw in some gumbo and we'll talk :p
Most have coaxial cables, though yes, some do have the fork thing and I believe you can get a cheap convertor for that to input into coax and/or composite.
Oh nice. Luckily its like one of the few analogues that survived lol.

Top