Do you respect athletes?

    Thread Owner : Jayson
  • #1

Some say they are spoiled, have political views that are offensive - among other things. Nonetheless, a school of thought would say, "Hey they deserve to be in the royalty so they can do what they want.". In fact, regarding politics, the voiceless and weak often need a voice - and who better than some famous pro-athlete?

I respect their athletic abilities, but I don't think that being famous automatically makes them an authority on something beyond their sport. They deserve their accolades for their athletic prowess, but I wouldn't consider them as anything more than athlete unless they show a knack for something to a degree that warrants paying attention to. I wouldn't want someone coming to me as an authority on how to play basketball, for instance. I don't know enough about the sport to offer any advice beyond put the ball in the hoop. I wouldn't want a footballer giving me advice on politics, either.

    Thread Owner : Jayson
  • #5

Absolutely agreed, I wouldn't take advice from anyone not well versed on a subject.

Well, some celebrities are well versed. Nonetheless, when a celebrity takes sides in politics, he/she loses fans. It's a steep price. Is it worth it?

Well, some celebrities are well versed. Nonetheless, when a celebrity takes sides in politics, he/she loses fans. It's a steep price. Is it worth it?
That's very true, and for some of them it is worth it for them to take that stand and potentially lose fans as a result. Particularly if it's something they feel incredibly strongly about, and while that's good people are doing that, far too many also speak their mind on subjects that they genuinely have no clue about and expect people to give their opinion some sort of merit.

    Thread Owner : Jayson
  • #7

That's very true, and for some of them it is worth it for them to take that stand and potentially lose fans as a result. Particularly if it's something they feel incredibly strongly about, and while that's good people are doing that, far too many also speak their mind on subjects that they genuinely have no clue about and expect people to give their opinion some sort of merit.

Often taking a stand is unavoidable. It eventually comes up and the person is a coward if they don't speak their mind.

DudeThatsErin

DudeThatsErin

AZ, USA
erinskidds.website
Of course, anyone that doesn't isn't someone I want to be around. I have played sports since I was young so I see how much work it is unlike other people that have never played.

It depends on the athlete. If they are a great sports athlete and a even better person then I definitely respect them.

Of course, anyone that doesn't isn't someone I want to be around. I have played sports since I was young so I see how much work it is unlike other people that have never played.

I respect what athletes do, but sometimes politics is so powerful that no matter what they do - outside of politics - the person is hated. Well, Colin Kapernick is one example.