Do you buy things on credit or do you prefer to pay outright?

    Thread Owner : sprite1950
  • #1
I have done both in my time but I have a good credit rating so if something is really expensive I might pay for it over a couple of years rather than take chunk out of my bank account. Which way of paying do you prefer?

I use both ways for paying for things, but when I buy something expensive such as mobile phone or some home appliances, I prefer to buy them on credit card with deferred payment plans offered by the seller. That way I can take advantage of monthly deferred payments without paying anything extra as interest.

preacherbob

preacherbob

I can’t truthfully say that I haven’t bought some things on credit in my life but to be sure, being in debt is not a comfortable position to be in.
I have seen way too many people with great credit get in trouble because of some interruption in their cash flow be it sudden medical problems, loss of employment or what have you.

No, nowadays if I can’t pay for something out of pocket then I probably do not need it that badly.

LBJ

Seven yeas ago I finally paid off my credit cards in full. Then I took the scissors to them and cut them up. When it came time to renew I canceled them. Nowadays it's all cash on the barrel. I am in a unique position where I am 100% debt free and have some $$$ in the bank. Added to that my home and vehicles are all paid for. They along with this old body are by no means new, but the'll do.

  • Like
Reactions:preacherbob

I don't really want to pay for things using a credit card because of the interest. I would rather pay for the items with cash. Credit card may be more convenient, but more expensive in the long run.

I do not like to buy on credits and I also do not use a credit card. I do not want to experience the pressure of paying the bills whenever I receive a salary. Furthermore, when you buy on credit you tend to buy things that you may not actually need. When you are buying in cash, you will be buying things that you actually need. If you buy in cash, you will be avoiding impulsive buying. It is easy to manage your finances when you buy in cash.

  • Like
Reactions:Jay

I try to pay cash as much as humanly possible, it's just easier all around, but sometimes you need credit. Cars, phones, big ticket items...if they payment is unreasonable I walk away and do without, but if it's doable and I can find a way to pay it off quicker, I will use credit for some things and just work to pay it off sooner than it should be finished.

  • Like
Reactions:Jay
Jaden_66

Jaden_66

Feb 8, 2021
Credit is a good way of getting around expensive stuff and paying it off in small bits. But I usually prefer cash in hand if I'm at a non-branded store or somewhere I feel it's not safe to use a credit card.

  • Like
Reactions:Brad P