What's new

Do you attend sporting events?

Duks

Member
Do you go to stadiums/arenas or equivalent to watch the competitors in real life? I usually just watch on TV. Unfortunately, there aren't many exciting sports events that take place around here.

PGen98

Administrator
Moderator
I do sometimes, I'm a Dallas Stars fan and we live pretty close to the Arizona Coyotes arena, so go to the Stars/Coyotes games sometimes when they roll through town. If I still lived in Britain I'd likely attend more football matches, because there are lower league teams all over the country that make for a cheap and extremely fun evening out.

sliara

Member
No, I don't really attend sports events. I don't even like watching sports to begin with. Attending sports events, I have noticed, is only for die hard sports fans.

Jaden_66

Member
Feb 8, 2021
I love going to football matches and cricket matches. But I haven't been to one since the pandemic kicked in.

Jay

Administrator
Feb 1, 2021
I will go watch an NHL game now and then but its real expensive and im sure once COVID is over it will be a rich persons game.

Spikey

Member
I go to sports games all the time before the pandemic. Now I'm not sure if I even want to go to a sports game once were allowed back. Like Jay says the games will cost even more expensive.. I just get all the sports packages on TV to watch with friends.

  • Agree
Reactions: Jay

Jay

Administrator
Feb 1, 2021
I go to sports games all the time before the pandemic. Now I'm not sure if I even want to go to a sports game once were allowed back. Like Jay says the games will cost even more expensive.. I just get all the sports packages on TV to watch with friends.
I think we will see a lot of this once things open again

Spikey

Member
I think we will see a lot of this once things open again
The good thing with the sports packages is you get every game for every team! It's kind of like having season tickets for every team from the comfort of your own home lol

PGen98

Administrator
Moderator
Agreed, it's really nice. I subscribe to NHL.tv most seasons (GameCenter or whatever else they want to call it), it's great EXCEPT for the blackouts...I can understand blacking out the games in your local market, sort of, but why black out the national games? That's just irritating beyond belief because I cancelled my tv service over 15 years ago, don't want to keep having to jump on free trials of Sling just to watch one game every few weeks...that's something that needs to be fixed, IMO.

Spikey

Member
Agreed, it's really nice. I subscribe to NHL.tv most seasons (GameCenter or whatever else they want to call it), it's great EXCEPT for the blackouts...I can understand blacking out the games in your local market, sort of, but why black out the national games? That's just irritating beyond belief because I cancelled my tv service over 15 years ago, don't want to keep having to jump on free trials of Sling just to watch one game every few weeks...that's something that needs to be fixed, IMO.
Yea it's odd that they do that. Thankfully though you can still watch the archived game after the live game is done (atleast usually you can)
Now a days even before the pandemic started I mostly went to minor league games as they are much more affordable and you get to see future professional players.
Here we have the Calgary Hitmen and I've seen many players that played for the Hitmen make their way to the NHL like most recently Jake Virtanen of the Canucks.

PGen98

Administrator
Moderator
Yea it's odd that they do that. Thankfully though you can still watch the archived game after the live game is done (atleast usually you can)
Now a days even before the pandemic started I mostly went to minor league games as they are much more affordable and you get to see future professional players.
Here we have the Calgary Hitmen and I've seen many players that played for the Hitmen make their way to the NHL like most recently Jake Virtanen of the Canucks.
Yeah, the archive's usually available the next day, but it's a bit annoying that you can't watch the games that you're paying for.

That's exactly what I'd be doing if we had an AHL or ECHL team anywhere near me (I'm about 15 mins away from the Coyotes' Gila River Arena), and what I used to do when I lived in the UK, going to lower league football matches because they were so affordable and you got good action. Really great way to see some decent hockey and yeah, definitely a great chance to see future NHLers at work (and past NHLers, too).