Cutting your own hair?

In the last year with the pandemic and all I have been debating whether if I should start cutting my own hair or not because the barbershop keeps closing down due to the restrictions and my hair grows pretty fast. I did the calculations and I would save around $400 a year if I did cut my own hair. I've been watching youtube tutorials on how to do it and reading comments from people on youtube or other sites. You can find a decent pair of cordless hair trimmers on Amazon.
Have you tried cutting your own hair? Do you still cut your own hair?

I have cut my own hair for around 35 years. You get used to the way it grows and I think it looks okay as I get compliments sometimes. I keep it short and layered and I'm not saying I don't make mistakes at times but in general I think it is passable. It certainly saves a lot of money and looks better than some of the terrible cuts I got in the past at the hairdressers!

it’s really difficult to hold a hand mirror with one hand and cut your hair with the other,I tried a few times during the pandemic but could not complete to cut my hair properly. Now in Bangladesh, everything is normal and I go to Salon as I am no more scared of Covid.
There are youtube videos that show you don't need to hold a hand mirror in your hand while you cut your hair, as long as you have a mirror on the wall in the washroom you should be fine.

I have cut my own hair for around 35 years. You get used to the way it grows and I think it looks okay as I get compliments sometimes. I keep it short and layered and I'm not saying I don't make mistakes at times but in general I think it is passable. It certainly saves a lot of money and looks better than some of the terrible cuts I got in the past at the hairdressers!
I agree! I got some pretty bad haircuts before at the barbershop, and they also never cut it short enough the way I ask them to. They just want our money.

I just ordered a mens hair clippers/trimmer set for $50. Here, it costs $25 for a mens cut before tips at a barbershop. I watched another youtube video on cutting your own hair and they made a good point...this is the time to learn to cut your own hair and if you screw up then who cares? We are in lock down anyways so hardly anyone will see it. You also get better over time at cutting your own hair. My hair style is pretty easy to cut so it shouldn't be too hard.

I have never tried shaving my own head. In fact, I hardly ever even seek a barber's services; my hair stays uncut for years at a time. Nevertheless, it would be interesting to try cutting/styling my own hair. I imagine it would be challenging at first unless I was shaving it in a simple style, such as bald.

Last edited:
I have cut my own hair off and on for about 20 years or so. I simply stand in front of my bathroom mirror while holding a hand mirror to cut the back. I can't seem to find a hairdresser that will cut it the way I want it cut.

Have I ever made mistakes and screwed it all up? You bet I have, and more than once too! But you have all heard the old saying: "The difference between a good haircut and a bad one is just 2 weeks". In my case this holds true as my hair grows so fast that it blows peoples minds. Whenever I really screw up I just don a baseball hat until it all grows back again ha*ha! ;)

Back
Top