Anuj Dhawan

Anuj Dhawan

Valued Member
Reaction score
CB$
    Thread Owner : Anuj Dhawan
Hi,

Do you play cricket in your country?

We're grown playing this very game and it's kind of religion here. Can this be made part of Olympics? What do you think?

Alexandoy

Alexandoy

Valued Member
Reaction score
CB$
I have watched cricket games when I was in London but I don't know the mechanics very well. As a team sport I think it can be in the Olympics. It is the efforts of the local cricket organization to lobby to the IOC - International Olympic Committee for the inclusion of a sport. I am not sure although I think there is a required number of countries to participate. If it is only India and the UK with bona-fide cricket teams then I don't think it can gain progress in the Olympic committee.

Anuj Dhawan

Anuj Dhawan

Valued Member
Reaction score
CB$
    Thread Owner : Anuj Dhawan
Actually, for Olympic Games at Athens in 1896, it was listed in the original program but was later shelved due to an insufficient number of entries. Later, in 1900, four teams played - Holland, Belgium, France, and England - but then two teams, France and England played only one match. In 1912, however, cricket was recognized as played during the 1900 Olympics by the International Olympic Committee. England received a gold medal and France received a silver medal after recognition.

Cricket was to be played at the 1904 Olympics, but never took place due to a lack of facilities. As far I read about it - the reasons cricket was not included after the 1904 Olympics is mostly the lack of consistent participation and lack of attention toward it. Wish they can add it.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.