Cost of new games...does it put you off

    Thread Owner : Brad P
  • #1
Brad P

Valued Member
Does the cost of new games on the next gen put you off getting a new console?
I know games will reduce in price but I think the days of pre-owned being 2 for £20 are long gone. I must admit it was the price of games that have put me off going next gen.
At what point does a game cost too much?

A game costs $50 or so, and I find it expensive. I am definitely put off by the price. I bought pirated versions of video games and they work fine.

Deleted member 132

Interesting question really, and I think it stems from what generation you are.
You are in the same boat as me where you used to be able to rent games from blockbuster for a few sterling a week.
Also the second hand market was very alive 10+ years ago, market stalls etc.

Now the biggest second hand market (I think) is CEX, where the price is very close to full retail.

Since the focus being put on digital, this has more or less extinguished the second hand market, whilst in the last decade the price of new games has increased from £35-40, to £50-90 depending on edition.

Whilst inflation has risen higher than wages.

No wonder it feels more expensive, it is!

It definitely makes me a bit pickier about what I buy. I bought modern warfare about a month ago, just as another was about to come out.

Creaky

Creaky

Most games in the UK Cost around £60 now, they are getting more expensive. Certainly made a difference to the number of new titles I buy.

  • Like
Reactions:Hova

Most games in the UK Cost around £60 now, they are getting more expensive. Certainly made a difference to the number of new titles I buy.
That is way too expensive. I would never buy a game for that much.

Sharon

Sharon

Texas
serened.proboards.com
$60 sounds pretty normal to me. I am able to justify the cost by how many hours I anticipate in playing the game. I prefer multiplayer games or open world type games so average total play time before I move on from a game for me is anywhere between 100 to 200 hours. I think $0.30-$0.60 /hr of entertainment is worth it.