Welcome to Chatbanter.

Forumregister.com

Certificate or College Degree

Nabix

Location
127.0.01
Have you noticed the amount of colleges offering online certifications now? I assume this is because of covid. But, I even noticed colleges like M.I.T. now offering them via their xPRO programs. These certificates sound great but I'm wondering if employers will still accept a certificate over a degree.

Personally, If i was to hire someone, I would have no issues hiring someone who has a certificate. Not everyone has access to the funds or scholorships to afford traditional colleges.

I'm considering taking one or a few certificate courses down the road, what do you all think? Worth it?

I actually did online college about 8 years ago, I have a full-fledged MSIT in Information Security as a result of that. So it is possible to get full-fledged degrees online, the certifications are typically only a portion of a larger program of study. Granted, I cannot say if they're taken as seriously as a traditional school's degrees, I had a job back then and gave up that same job to look after my mother full time when dementia became a factor, so never got to test the waters on the Information Security side of things.

I do think, however, that these days more credence is given to online courses because of their growing usage; however, back then I have no doubt it was probably something to be scoffed at. The coursework I went through was just as challenging as your typical university coursework, IMO, but I don't know if that's changed since that time. I'd like to think people are still earning their degrees the right way, though, and therefore they're taken just as seriously as traditional schooling degrees.

There is no substitute for a college degree, whether you complete the degree by attending college, or through an online medium, a college degree is a must. Certificates are just a way to enhance your skills and knowledge. Certificates will of course give you immediate benefit, but they do not equip you with the knowledge, skills, and wisdom that you need to excel in life. I am not saying this just because I am a teacher but because this is the ultimate purpose of learning.

I have noticed that a long time ago when I entered college, the college that I entered offers certificate courses, it's only 2 years for short courses. I think a degree is not required anymore to be accepted in a good company.

To me, it all depends on what career type a person is focused on.
For instance, although it might be useful for a potential fireman to get a degree, individual certificates in each area that fireman pursues is more practical with less out of pocket expense.
On the other hand, if someone is pursuing a life as an electronics engineer, go for the gold and get every piece of sheepskin the wall will hold.

Vocational schools are on the rise where I live even though there is a high call for aeronautical engineers. Engineers have to have a place to live complete with plumbing and electricity and they have to drive cars on highways built by people who drive heavy equipment.
Plumbers, electricians, welders and heavy equipment operators only need a certificate and they are making a lot of money and are always on demand.
We have a million truck drivers in the U.S. some of which are knocking down 6 figures a year with only their certificate, a truck and a willingness to work.

Don’t get me wrong, I possess 2 post grad degrees and an honorary doctorate in Theological studies but at the same time, I also possess several certificates in the field of Food and Beverage. Both my degrees and certificates have their own use and neither one is more significant than the other sans the expense.

Again, it just depends on what a person wishes to do.

I went to college after I left school and got shorthand and typing certificates which was a good move as when I left college in the late 60s everyone wanted secretaries. I was never short of work. Later in my mid twenties I decided I would do some adult education and did a two year A level course which I enjoyed as I really wanted to learn at that stage in my life. I was with kids who didn't have a clue what they wanted to do and were there only because their parents had made them.

After I had children I went to work in a supermarket on the checkouts and absolutely loved the contact with the public even though I wasn't using my skills. I look back on that as one of the best times of my working life.

I then went into catering and gained several catering certificates before I retired but I can honestly say I never regretted not going to university.

Have you noticed the amount of colleges offering online certifications now? I assume this is because of covid. But, I even noticed colleges like M.I.T. now offering them via their xPRO programs. These certificates sound great but I'm wondering if employers will still accept a certificate over a degree.

Personally, If i was to hire someone, I would have no issues hiring someone who has a certificate. Not everyone has access to the funds or scholorships to afford traditional colleges.

I'm considering taking one or a few certificate courses down the road, what do you all think? Worth it?
In my point of you, it's not the certificate or degree that matter while finding a job. It's the attitude. Even though you've a lot of certificates or degrees but you have a poor work attitude, you're good as nothing.

Sign Up

Register now
Existing user? Sign In

If you have an account, please log in