Can you type?

    Thread Owner : sprite1950
  • #1

I learned to type at college after I left school. There was no internet then but I worked as a secretary and had no idea it would be useful to me in the future. Can you type properly or do you "hunt and peck" as the two fingered method is called?

  • Like
Reactions:Jay

I can type but I learned it on my own with practice. I forget now, but there used to be a site where you could learn speed typing without looking at the keyboard, I used to practice on that. Now I can type comfortably well with good speed.

  • Like
Reactions:sprite1950 and Jay
preacherbob

preacherbob

I learned to type on a Royal manual typewriter when I was in the 7th grade. Funny thing but when the electric typewriters came out I really didn’t like them because there was no “click” when my fingers hit the keys and I was used to hitting the keys versus touching them.
Anyway, I haven’t tested myself in years but the last time I was tested I was typing around 120 words per minute without errors.

Note: Some of you on this forum might not believe it but we used to have to change ink ribbons and use carbon paper to make copies and do imagine a time when ......there was NO spell check! Yup, we actually had to learn how to spell whole words and be able to use a hard cover dictionary!!
Imagine too that there were no emoji’s !

Last edited:
  • Like
Reactions:nangk08, sprite1950 and Jay

I learned to type just through practice and on my own free time. When I first moved to the US the school I attended had an old Macintosh in the library and I spent hours wasting away on typing games and stuff until our family made the decision to buy a "family" computer right after the launch of Windows 95 and that was it...I was in love with computers and technology and I quickly became skilled with typing and things of that nature. It's like second nature to me at this point, haven't really looked at a keyboard to type in a very long time.

  • Like
Reactions:sprite1950, preacherbob and Jay

Duks

I can type at a decent level; not too fast but not slow either. My typing style may not be conventional, but I normally use most if not all of my fingers.

  • Like
Reactions:Jay and sprite1950
    Thread Owner : sprite1950
  • #7

I learned to type on a Royal manual typewriter when I was in the 7th grade. Funny thing but when the electric typewriters came out I really didn’t like them because there was no “click” when my fingers hit the keys and I was used to hitting the keys versus touching them.
Anyway, I haven’t tested myself in years but the last time I was tested I was typing around 120 words per minute without errors.

Note: Some of you on this forum might not believe it but we used to have to change ink ribbons and use carbon paper to make copies and do imagine a time when ......there was NO spell check! Yup, we actually had to learn how to spell whole words and be able to use a hard cover dictionary!!
Imagine too that there were no emoji’s !
Yes we had to do the carbon paper to make copies too and I so hated changing the ribbons. Like you I started off on an old manual typewriter and found I couldn't get on with the electric as I used to make too many mistakes. Thank goodness for tippex! My spelling has always been quite good and I think having secretarial jobs helped improve it.

  • Like
Reactions:Jay and preacherbob

LBJ

Can you type properly or do you "hunt and peck" as the two fingered method is called?
As to typing I am a chicken pecker/plucker. I wrote "plucker" not "f***er". I have absolutely no attraction to chickens at all. :angery:

  • Haha
Reactions:nangk08, sprite1950 and Jay

I'm a bit slow in typing when I first started typing, but now I'm more fast since I've been typing a lot nowadays due to touch screen gadgets.

  • Like
Reactions:Jay