Are celebrates good roll models for kids

    Thread Owner : Brad P
  • #1
Brad P

Valued Member
Celebrities can have a positive influence on youth. In fact, they can serve as role models. But famous singers, actors, and other celebrities can also provide unhealthy examples. In particular, celebrity influence on body image and substance use is often detrimental to teen mental health.

Many young people today look up to sports, movie and music stars as their heroes. Such people have a great influence on those who look up to them. Celebrities are human beings that have an exceptional talent but not above anybody to the point where we should idolize them. Television has now made it even more complicated. But not all is lost.

Nature and Nurture are important. As the society continues to rot thanks to the downhill trend of values and morals, it is important to keep your children grounded.

Especially now with the internet the so called Influencers and other celebrities have a great impact when it comes to influence not only of the young but of the general public. Take for instance the new words and terms that you see in social media, so many are imitating once they see a new word - let me flex this pic - instead of let me post my picture. Influencers should know that they are the role models of the youth so they should somehow think of what they are posting in social media.

Jeremy

Jeremy

They serves as both the good and bad examples to the society. If you do not want your children to be influenced by their bad act, I will suggest you always watch on them. Also one can make his or her children to look up to celebrities that are of good conduct and serve as good example to the society.

Most celebrities are too caught up in their own self image and the things or values they project are usually not in line with those of common people. Yet, unfortunately they turn out to big influencers for everyone but they cannot be called as good influencers certainly.

Depends on what kind of celebrities you are talking about. I don't think anyone from the movies, music, and fashion industry can be a role model for kids. In most cases, these people actually are a bad influence on kids. One of the reasons why kids smoke and drink early is because they are taking cues from their favorite actors.

There are lots of celebrities that misbehave on national TV, so it really depends on the celebrity in question. There are good celebs and bad celebs.

preacherbob

preacherbob

In the cases that I have witnessed, those who are in the spotlight for acting are somehow given the mantle of wisdom and discernment.
Of course when I write that I am definitely being sarcastic for indeed, just because one has made a few million entertaining the population doesn’t mean that their opinions are any more credible or substantial than my own.

Maybe in some years past there were some in the sports field or even as actors that one might say was a good role model but from what I see today, the humble man or woman making a living and providing for their families is a much better role model than any celebrity.

I can think of plenty that aren't good role models for one reason or another usually through drink and drug taking, I think many celebrities are either unaware of the responsibility that comes with being famous or just don't care. That doesn't mean they are all bad but there are plenty that should take a long hard look at themselves and the impression they are making on their young fans.

Last edited:
  • Like
Reactions:preacherbob